VC++ .net

Started by
7 comments, last by trager 20 years, 3 months ago
I''m using VC++ .net and for some reason I have to distribute the msvcr70.dll with my programs to get them to work, is there a way around this?
Advertisement
Your pick:

a) No. That''s why programs so often add DLLs to your system when you install them.
b) Link with the static version of the library. Your executable will be larger.
c) In time, every windows computer will include that DLLs.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” — Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Thanks Frunny.

I noticed the file is on my test computer in office and unreal and the like.

Just written a game of Pong and I don''t want it to be distributed with 1mb of dlls when the program is only 36k.

How do action option b) and link with a static version of the library?

thanks again.

Once I fix my computer, I'll be using .NET likely. I'm puzzled, though, is that the CRT library .dll?

edit: nm, according to www.dll-files.com, it's "Microsoft (R) C Runtime Library, v. 7.00.9064.0" heh.

[edited by - chawk on January 18, 2004 6:18:44 PM]
yup its a runtime library.

for my pong game I have
msvcr70.dll
sdl.dll
sdl_ttf.dll
sdl_mixer.dll
zlib.dll

its crazy that I have to distribute them all I don''t even know what the zlib.dll is! May as well code in BASIC for this kinda overhead.
zlib is a free zip/unzip library.

Linking with the static run-time is a compiler option - time for you to explore them (/ML I believe).

Note that your program will end up significantly larger than 36k.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” — Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Yeah Fruny I tried the compiler options problem is I don''t really know my way around compiler settings and I get multiple declaration errors between mscvrt.lib and linkcmt.lib with every setting other than multi-threaded dll.

Don''t suppose you know how to resolve this do you?

Something to do with the fact I''m using SDL perhaps?

Something to do with the fact I''m using SDL perhaps?

Yeah, everything must be compiled with the same project options. You''d need to rebuild SDL from source too. Though if STL classes are exported, it may not work (errors about redefinition of new and delete), in which case you''ll just *have* to use the DLL runtime.

Get over it - distribute it your application :/

Yup you''re right Fruny, time to move on I''ve spent more time fart-arsing about with dlls than I have coding.

Thanks for your input though, I may not have achieved what I wanted but I have learnt a little about compiler options.

thanks
trager.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement