Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DorRaba

using microsofts d3dapp.h and d3dutil.h

Is it good to use microsoft sample common files like d3dapp.h, d3dutil.h and others, for an application i''m building or other things or it just good for microsoft''s samples. can I make animation like microsoft''s Direct3D samples without using those files?

YOu can use d3dutil etc, look in your msdk folder and find the tutorisls, start with them, d3dapp is polymmorphic and the other one? inherited! that''s thge one, in other words d3dapp is good if you knoew alot of c++ and you want to quickly do asample or idea with it- but you do have to know alot of c++. That, doesn''t mean you can''t look at it, in fact you should, often d3dapp uses the other "helper" files - d3d util, d3dfont, but you can also use those helper files yourself, what I''m trying to say is if you''re a learner don''t expect to know d3dApp straight away, look behind the scenes & also start with the tutorials, do you know how to set up a simple Window? One of the best "discoveries I made one day when I was trying to figure things out, was every thing seemed to go in a certain place, you start with a basic window, then at a certain part in the windows proc you put in your "intitialise function" this holds all your setting up stuff - any thing in d3d that needs to be set up, you can also put "initgeomatory" there as well, then after the message pump, look for a function called render, this is where all the things that are used every frame go ie what you want to see on screen etc, after that comes all the cleaning up stuff, hope that helps- learn how a simple d3d prog works and where and in what order every thing goes.
sorry about the long reply, ignore any thing you don''t like lol