Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VyvyanBasterd

Most polygons per frame?

Can anyone give me a good estimate on how many polygons per frame I should aim for? I certainly don''t want to target the highest-end systems (800mhz Pentium IIIs+), nor do I want to hit the lowest-end systems (166 mhz). What is a good number of polygons to keep an acceptable framerate, that is, 30+ fps? Also, has anyone fooled around with State Blocks in D3D? I think my biggest question about them is: do they function on POINTERS to information, or do they work on immediate values, like Display Lists in OpenGL? To clarify that: Let''s say I do the following: BeginStateBlock(); SetTransform(WORLD_TRANSFORM, Space_Ship::WorldMatrix); EndStateBlock(); Now, let''s say that I rotate the Space Ship''s WorldMatrix. If I call ApplyStateBlock(), will it set the world matrix to the value set in the above piece of code, or will it know to set it to the new (rotated) matrix? Thanks... Vyvyan

Raw poly-throughput depends on both the video card and processor speed. Tests I did on a fairly wide variety of processor speeds and video cards showed about 1 - 4 million polys per second. These are not texture mapped polys, and fill rate is not a large factor. It should not take long to write up your own program to do any throughput tests you need done.

Mike

the Geforce DDR is able to pusch 15 million triangles a second...
so thats about 5 million triangles per frame at a framerate at 30 frames / sec.

i think that''s a pretty good average.

cya,

Phil

quote:
Original post by phueppl1

the Geforce DDR is able to pusch 15 million triangles a second...
so thats about 5 million triangles per frame at a framerate at 30 frames / sec.

i think that''s a pretty good average.

cya,

Phil

Since when does 15 million divided by 30 equal 5 million? You must work for the IRS.

-BacksideSnap-

actually draw on the screen i''ld say 5000-10000 multitextured lit triangles. ild love to do 25000 - 50000 tris but theres no way that''ll get a decent framerate on my machine celeron 433 tnt2 (vanta)