Internet Game Servers

Started by
3 comments, last by bear 23 years, 8 months ago
I was wondering if anyone knows of Internet Game Servers? What Game Servers StarCraft, Asherons Call, Diablo etc. used? I suppose proprietary, which I suppose it is? And if anyone knows what architecture is working behind the them, the network programming code, database integration, serial communication etc. Thanks.
Advertisement
well starcraft diable warcraft2BE all use the battle.net server... b.net is Blizzard''s server(actual its a set of severs =)) anyways no you can''t use them(there for blizzard''s games only). I don''t know of any servers that will act as your own game server... as far as design goes well its all depends on what you need it to do and how you want it to do it...

Great Milenko

Words Of Wisdom:
"Never Stick A Pretzel In Your Butt It Might Break Off In There."

http://www.crosswinds.net/~milenko
http://www.crosswinds.net/~pirotech

The Great Milenko"Don't stick a pretzel up your ass, it might get stuck in there.""Computer Programming is findding the right wrench to hammer in the correct screw."
Not to sure about Blizzards hardware, but they''re most likely a cluster of Wintel servers.

As for bigger games like AC, EQ and UO now your talking big Ultrasparc Sun servers running a Solaris OS with gigs of ram. Very large machines. Example UO has over 10 Sun Servers for each shard, and probably a database server backend. Each machine is easily $40,000 each.

To handle thousands of users at once you need tons of hardware and bandwidth.
I noticed on Blizzard''s webpage that they are hiring Battle.net programmers. They keep mentioning a sound knowledge of Windows NT and Winsock programming, so its a good guess that Battle.net runs on NT boxes.
quote:Original post by Bracket

I noticed on Blizzard''s webpage that they are hiring Battle.net programmers. They keep mentioning a sound knowledge of Windows NT and Winsock programming, so its a good guess that Battle.net runs on NT boxes.

I think he''s talking about SOFTWARE.
I personally don''t know.

BeS
It's Da BOMB Baby!!!
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement