The future of Racing Games?

Started by
26 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 8 months ago
If consoles and PC''s keep getting more and more powerful to the point where you can''t tell the difference between real-life images and computer generated then what future do racing sims have? I can''t see why people would buy a new version of GT or ColinMc if the Graphics and Physics have been perfected in the previous versions. I think these games could by dying. Yourself? I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
I think that they will have to find something new, which is exactly what we want, and as such, is a Good Thing (tm).

youpla :-P

-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
The same things kinda go for all kinds of games though, except those that have absolutely no basis in reality, don''t you think?

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:Original post by MadKeithV

The same things kinda go for all kinds of games though, except those that have absolutely no basis in reality, don''t you think?

Well when you get into types of games that rely heavily on creativness then you can never become obsolete. But the racing car / air craft/ etc simulations only get better with better technologies.

So what i''m wondering is, after consoles and PC become extremely powerful, lets say 30 years from now, will there be a last simulation ever made?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Well, then you''ll have reality without the drawbacks I guess...

Though you might still get new circuits, new airports, new airplanes, new scenarios etc...

~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Yeah, if the graphics and physics were realistic, you'd have all the realism, but you could crash into things and not die.

Also, how often do you get to drive a race car in real life?

Simulation games would still provide the simulation for something you'd never get to do in real life.

Edited by - Nazrix on July 24, 2000 10:04:34 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
SimSex!
( sorry, I REALLY couldn''t resist *sigh*, even as a moderator )

But I think that still, writing scenarios for games like that would be a valid avenue for game development. You would just not be making the entire engine again all the time.
It''s the ultimate engine to licence! Reality

~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
a) it''ll be a while before any games are "perfect".
b) since it''s a simulation, they can keep adding cool things like prototype cars, effects like being able to fly your car (hey whatever)
c) same reason people buy the new version of baseball and football games, new players, new cars, new tracks. although these could be accomplished with downloadable updates, they still want to make money

-Justin White

jowhite@bigfoot.com
AIM: Just6979
www.bigfoot.com/~jowhite

"To infinity and beyond!" -Buzz Lightyear
"I can only show you the door. You must choose to go through it." -Morpheus
"Your mind is like a parachute. It works best when open." -Anonymous
"I know Kung-fu." -Neo
"Ignorance is bliss" -Cypher
"My name...is Neo!" -Neo
-Justin Whitejowhite@bigfoot.comAIM: Just6979www.bigfoot.com/~jowhite"To infinity and beyond!" -Buzz Lightyear"I can only show you the door. You must choose to go through it." -Morpheus"Your mind is like a parachute. It works best when open." -Anonymous"I know Kung-fu." -Neo"Ignorance is bliss" -Cypher"My name...is Neo!" -Neo
This problem has been existing for a long time in other products. For example take the toothbrush. I mean how many types of toothbrush does one person need? How long can they "improve" or "enhance" the product? Yet they still have to keep pushing stupid ideas so they can be "newer" than their competitors. Now I''ll go brush my teeth with my tartar control, anti-cavities, whitening, baking sodaifying, minth tasting three colored toothpaste... And some experts say all you would need is a toothbrush and some water! Who are they kidding!? ;-)
quote:Original post by Octarinne

This problem has been existing for a long time in other products. For example take the toothbrush. I mean how many types of toothbrush does one person need? How long can they "improve" or "enhance" the product? Yet they still have to keep pushing stupid ideas so they can be "newer" than their competitors. Now I''ll go brush my teeth with my tartar control, anti-cavities, whitening, baking sodaifying, minth tasting three colored toothpaste... And some experts say all you would need is a toothbrush and some water! Who are they kidding!? ;-)

Damn good point Octarinne Now this sort of opens up a new thread i guess... "Are games a disposable good/merchantise?" As in :No matter how well you make a game, does it has an used by date on it?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement