Stock Market RPG Characters

Started by
12 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 8 months ago
Just had the craziest thought in terms of online RPGs What if the Player out-of-game could invest game credits on a Character. So the Character has a out-of-game game-value. So if a player who has done well with there character could sell shares in there character to raise more money for their next character. So people buy and sell shares in other people Characters to get more game-money to make better characters. It could also be done so that money that is picked up in-game by a character could be used for paying dividends to the players who have invested in his/her character. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
You''d think I would hate this idea, paul. Actually, I quite like it. It seems lik a poigniant satire on the matertialist nature of most MMORPGs. Hey, if you really must worship the capitalist moneygod, you may as well be up-front about it.

======
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
-Socrates

"Question everything. Especially Landfish."
-Matt
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Yeah, well i was actually thinking about the issue of Character Death when the idea struck me. Maybe the idea would be more suited to Online Deathmatches. But i kind of like playing with money and RPG Characters.

Maybe theres gods making money off our dismal lives in some other cosmos out there It''s a sure bet Paul won''t get...

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
OK, it''s early Monday morning for me... but this has cheered me up. This is the craziest hairbrain ideal... I think it''s a cool ideal
LMAO

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
I would have to agree with Dak. This is a wild idea. Wonder if it could actually work.

Kressilac

ps How many of you have lost sleep over Diablo II?
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
A player receive points he can spend for his next character.
Playing a vilain will provide points too.

This can lead to a 100% PC world.
Only players in the world, even the least goblin will be a challenge to kill and can be unpredictable.

I designed that thing for a MMORPG based on my fantasy Fédia World.

This is of course a summary of what I choose, not the whole system.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I''ve thouhgt about this most of the morning... (along with my usual work ) and have to say this is (IMHO) a better ideal than I initilally laughed about.

I only have one item that I disagree with in your post. You said to help fund his next character. I think that creating money for your next character is wrong. I think the money should go for funding the character in question. I also think that if you made this a part of the game... it would be even better. Of course, you could build web access into this so a player could check out his latest stock value etc...

Anyway, still a great ideal!

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
quote:Original post by kressilac

I would have to agree with Dak. This is a wild idea. Wonder if it could actually work.

Kressilac

ps How many of you have lost sleep over Diablo II?

Hmmm your not stuck on D2 are you? That''s scary
I''m not into it as much as I was, remember I played for two weeks during the stress test

You need to get more sleep. Or better yet finish the minutes from last weeks meeting [punch]

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
quote:Original post by Dak Lozar
I only have one item that I disagree with in your post. You said to help fund his next character. I think that creating money for your next character is wrong. I think the money should go for funding the character in question. I also think that if you made this a part of the game... it would be even better. Of course, you could build web access into this so a player could check out his latest stock value etc...

Well, this is just the way is see it, naturally it can be done differently but what i was thinking was this: The player acts as the director of his or her character and is thus entitled to payment in game credits. The payments system would have to be hardcoded with the game logic. So the Player build-up an account of game credits the they can use to invest in other peoples character etc.

I guess you could take the Player out of the equation and do it all with the character but to me it''s kind of wrong becasue the characters are ingame ants and we''re (the player) the gods and i kind of find it amusing to gamble on characters fortunes

Either way it would/could be done, and it would interest me to see if it brings people in and keeps them!

Our Goal is "Fun"!
How about the idea that instead of taking money off (real) people so that get a certain amount of time, they pay for a character. Then place this stock market idea on top of that.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement