Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rederick

What API should I start with?

Hi. I'm looking to get into 3D programming(one more year then off to college to major in CS) and I was just want a head start. Now I'm not a master of c++ but I know my way around . What I was wondering was, what would be the best API for me to begin in? Directx, Glide, or Opengl. I know some Glide and OpenGl from various tutorials over the web.(Including the opengl superbible which is online at www.itknowledge.com; direct link: OpenGL Super Bible I know Directx is fully compatible with most 3dcards out there, as is opengl, and that glide is fairly restricted to voodoo based cards. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Playing games is what I live for. Getting paid to make those games is how I will live. Edited by - Rederick on 7/24/00 6:12:54 AM Edited by - Rederick on 7/24/00 6:17:52 AM Edited by - Rederick on 7/24/00 6:19:47 AM

well if i were you i would eliminate Glide from that list immediately... it is only compatible with 3DFX, and besides it is a much less feature-rich (what a stupid word) API than the other two.

OpenGL is good for beginners because you can get your head round 3D without worrying too much about hardware issues... but it was designed to run without worrying too much about the framerate, and there are other problems with it too, such as incompatibilities between different GL implementations, and poor control over textures (in my opinion).

Direct3D is not as bad as it seems to begin with. There is a lot of crap you have to get through before you get it to do anything, but once you''ve done that the rest is actually much simpler.

I suggest you have a look at OpenGL to begin with, fiddle about with that, then move onto DirectX.

quote:
Original post by remo

I suggest you have a look at OpenGL to begin with, fiddle about with that, then move onto DirectX.

I''d rephrase that as
"Pick up OpenGL, and when you start to feel comfortable, take DirectX alongside it."
Once you get past the initialisation phase of DirectX, the two are supposed to be reasonably similar.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.

Ahh thanks all. I had a feeling GL was the way to go for starting out. I was just looking for something to do for the rest of the summer. I think I''ll start directx next year as a side hobby while away at school.

quote:
To make it obvious, you don''t see a lot of questions on OpenGL here, do you?

hehe Yea, I should''ve known that shouldn''t I. I was just thinking that directx was more of a bitch to work with, but was more rewarding in the end. (Which I still do think )

Once again, Thanks!

Playing games is what I live for. Getting paid to make those games is how I will live.