Minimum Frame Rate

Started by
17 comments, last by X-Man 23 years, 9 months ago
Whether the difference is noticable or not, any game that maintains at least 24 FPS is quite playable. One thing that annoys me about some modern games: some games periodically decide to do a lot of memory rearrangement, often involving disk access, causing the display to freeze for 1/4 to 1/2 second. A example of this is Descent 3, which does 60 FPS most of the time, but periodically dips down to 4 FPS. So whatever you do, beware of complex memory management and disk access.

- JRod
Advertisement
Ok, the information i've seen says that-

The human eye cannot see detail above 40 fps
-however-
it can see large movement up to 70fps

i'm sure it varies from person to person sightly but the main
thing you guys are missing is, your eyes don't mind low fps so much as it annoys them to have varying fps. that is why you want to either lock the fps (not a good idea for 3d game) or try to achieve at or above 30 fps at all time...

the constant fps in tv/video and movie are what makes it look smooth...and because of tv's seperate fields the acual fps is only 1/2 of the 24 or 29.97 fps in tv, video and movie. As for your question though...
for 2d animation you can go as low as 12 fps without bugging the heck out of the persons eyes, but in a 3d game where the fps isn't constant try to stay >=30 fps

-mike

btw i don't claim all (if any ) of this information is reliable but is to the best of my knowledge, accurate.

Edited by - thr33d on July 24, 2000 4:02:57 PM
I think that the problem is, what we can see and what we can feel (i.e. mouselook) are two completely different things. I mean, getting 30 fps or 90 fps in a game looks pretty much the same, but 90 FEELS so much smoother. That''s why a lot of hardcore gamers want triple digit framerates; not to make the game look better, but to make it feel smoother.

Overall, though, I think it''s more important to maintain a constant framerate. I would rather play with a consistent 30 fps than a framerate that jumps around constantly.

Just my opinion....

Martee
Magnum Games
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
quote:Original post by ByteMe95

30 fps is NOT the maximum a human can detect, it''s really something like 32.

There was a post about this not too long ago and I was referred to an article on the web that went into a whole discussion about this exact topic. Do a search for it on the messageboards, im sure you''ll find it.

Anyway, the conclusion was that the human can detect much more than 30fps. The only reason TVs and movies are able to look good at those low frame rates is cause movies are in dark areas, so whatever you see you have an after effect of it in your retina cause of the dark room vs. the bright movie lights.
TVs also have some catch i cant really remember it exactly. So if you''re real curious about this go hunt down that article

- Rob

ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()

Well, according to common wisdom I was right, but one million wrongs don''t make 1 right. ByteMe is right, according to the this article (which might even be the one he was recomending us to go find in the message boards).

Thank you for the info ByteMe.

Topgoro

We emphasize "gotoless" programming in this company, so constructs like "goto hell" are strictly forbidden.
Hmmm...

All this is really interesting, but I wasn''t really trying to match the eyeball refresh rate, or even the monitor refresh rate. What I was trying to get at was a minimum game frame rate - which runs quasi-asynchronously with the others. Agreeably, if you can keep up with the monitor, thats great, but assume for a moment you are targeting a low end Pxxx as your advertised "minimum system" and you have a full 360 flight sim for sale.

Also suppose that testing reveals worst case 8fps on a P133, 12fps on a P233 and 20fps on a P400. Where do you draw the line on a advertised minimum system (I can''t wait to see the answers on this one...).

Personally I''ve found combat sims (like Jane''s USNF) playable down to 10-12fps on my old P90. Below that it''s impossible to target the enemy. Except for quick manuevers, most flight sims have minimal screen motion, so a low fps isn''t really noticed.

hey Martee, the whole point of frame based modeling is to keep everything moving the same rate with different frame rates. different frame rates can be good, well, at least in this aspect.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
A flash of light that is microseconds in duration (not milliseconds, but microseconds) is quite visible to the human eye. I know this because I work with strobing hardware that can provide flashes of light with durations ranging from 15-250 microseconds, and those flashes are quite visible. Now admittedly when those flashes are occuring at extremely high speeds they can blur into a seemingly constant light source (were it not for the fact that each flash results in an audible snap or popping sound, making these units moderately annoying to use, but unavoidable).

I also know that it is quite possible to notice the difference between 60fps and 120fps in a fast paced 3D action game. In particular, performing a quick 180 degree about face in a fraction of a second can make even 60fps too slow for smooth movement as only a few frames are used to render this rather quick motion. At higher frame rates, our eyes will blur those frames together, but they will blur them into a more realistic representation of high speed motion (just as they blur those extremely short duration flashes into a seemingly constant source of light)

And I''d draw the line at 20fps, even for a flight simulator. Unless your game will have NO close range dogfighting, 8-15fps is going to be too slow. As you said, it''d be too slow for close range targetting (which is needed for using chain guns or the like). Min specs should never render any expected game feature unusable (excluding graphical enhancements).
Thanks for the inputs...and, yeah I agree. 20-30 fps is probably a reasonable expectation with today''s technology. I guess I''m a little disappointed with the first cut results, but I''m confident I can tune it up - that''s the fun part, right?

(wimper, choke, sniff...)

BTW, profiling shows about 49% of time in peekmessage() so using Directinput should nearly double my fps - my first target. Curiously, another near 49% is in DirectDrawPrimative (as expected) - but all my AI and scene update processing is only about 2%!
I think 25 frames is acceptable...

what i was thinking of in the game i'm developing with a group is to let the player modify the framerate he is aming at.. and then the game automatically adjusts the details... so if u r aiming at 60 FPS you always get 60 FPS but the level of detail always jumps up and down... i'm still thinking of how to implement this, but wouldn't that be great?

What i hate most in 3d action shooters, is if i turned of V-sync and the edges start to jump.... aaarrrghhhh...
(I always have to look at the jumping wall then, and can't look at were my enemies are..) since then i always got v-sync turned on and it seems to work fine...

if somebody got ideas how to implement the fixed FPS email me thx.

Phil

Edited by - phueppl1 on July 26, 2000 2:00:27 PM
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement