inline assembler

Started by
4 comments, last by shmaLbus 23 years, 8 months ago
how the fugg do i convert between floating point and integer types in visual c++''s inline assembler? i know it''s ''ftol'' and that family. i even disassembled a simple program just converting numbers (it is __ftol) and copied exactly what it had and that didn''t even work! any help would be nice
-werdup-
Advertisement
hah, yes i am a genious.. thank you (well ok not really, but let me think that). i disassembled it again and just called the address of __ftol and that worked. if anyone really cares here's what it looks like.

int i=10;float f=20.1;DWORD __ftol_ptr=0x0040ea88;_asm {     fld		f     call	[__ftol_ptr]     mov		i, eax}        

Edited by - shmaLbus on July 24, 2000 10:33:10 AM
-werdup-
If you want the slowest possible conversion - why the ''fugg'' are you using assembler???
bored
-werdup-
eh, what''s a quick way then?
-werdup-
The reason you are using __ftol in the first place is to get the result truncated instead of rounded. Try this instead:

-----------------
float f=20.1;
int i;

_asm fld f
_asm fistp i

-----------------

I have not tried this on VC++ but it works beautifully in Watcom C++. When I started using this in a lighting computation, the speed of my entire program increased by 10% because it didn''t have to call a slow function anymore.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement