How do I implement my own - Client SMTP eMail Connection...

Started by
2 comments, last by baskuenen 23 years, 9 months ago
Here I go again with some stupid questions... My network knowledge is low, so please take it easy on me this time Telnet and Hotmail:
  • Can I telnet to hotmail?
  • Can I simply use port 25?
  • Must I use http://www.hotmail.com or is myname@hotmail.com better?
  • Why doesn''t it still work?
  • SMTP client connection:
  • I already got the gethostbyname() and connect()
  • How do I send the subject and date?
  • Do I need to recv after a connect?
  • Do I need to recv() after each line send()?
  • I only want to send a single HTML page.
  • Is "Content-Type: text/html\r\n" all you need in the header?
  • Do I need an extra "\n" after the header before sending the HTML page?
  • It''s a lot of questions, so thanks already for reading them - Bas
    Advertisement
    Try this link

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
    Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
    "Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
    Thanks Dak!

After doing some more research, I came up with the folowing implementation:

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------#include    <stdio.h>#include    <string.h>#include    <windows.h>#include    <winsock.h>//----------------------------------------------------------------------------#define     SMTP_PORT       25#define     MAXBUF          4096//---------------------------------------------------------------------------void send_smtpcmd(SOCKET sock, char *szCmd){	char    szReply[MAXBUF];	int     iLen;	send(sock, szCmd, strlen(szCmd), 0);	iLen = recv(sock, szReply, MAXBUF, 0);	szReply[iLen] = 0;	printf(szReply);}//---------------------------------------------------------------------------main(){  	WORD wVersionRequested = MAKEWORD( 2, 0 );	WSADATA wsa;	if (WSAStartup(wVersionRequested , &wsa)!=0)	{	printf("Winsock Initialization failed.\n"); return -1;	}		SOCKET sock;	if ((sock=socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0))==INVALID_SOCKET)	{	printf("Can not create socket.\n"); return -1;	}		char *szSMTPServer = "www.hotmail.com";	struct hostent *hs;	if ((hs=gethostbyname(szSMTPServer))==NULL)	{	printf("Can not resolve specified host.\n"); return -1;	}	SOCKADDR_IN addr;	addr.sin_family     = AF_INET;	addr.sin_port       = htons(SMTP_PORT);	memcpy((void *)&addr.sin_addr.s_addr, hs->h_addr, hs->h_length);		if (connect(sock,(LPSOCKADDR)&addr,sizeof(addr))==SOCKET_ERROR)	{	printf("Can not connect to specified host.\n"); return -1;	}		char packetbuf[MAXBUF];	recv(sock, packetbuf, MAXBUF, 0);	printf("BANNER: %s\n", packetbuf);	send_smtpcmd(sock, "MAIL FROM: <me@domain.web>\r\n");	send_smtpcmd(sock, "RCPT TO: <baskuenen@hotmail.com>\r\n");	//can be repeated	send_smtpcmd(sock, "DATA\r\n");	send_smtpcmd(sock,		"Subject: Test HTML mail.\r\n"	    "MIME-Version: 1.0\r\n"		"Content-Type: text/html; \r\n"		" charset=\"iso-8859-1\"\r\n"		"Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable\r\n"		".\r\n");	closesocket(sock);	printf("Done.\n");	return 0;}//------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

The problem is I get: "Can not connect to specified host."
    There''s something wrong with my connect. But what? I checked the IP-address, and it''s hotmail!
    Is it possible to connect to hotmail? Or must I use my provider orso?

Help very much respected

Oke - found it - must use my provider address, but I really don't understand why?

I still dont know how to make good headers (Subject: Content-Type: ...etc...)
    Does anyone know a good link to any lists with possible commands for this?

Sorry for my stupid questions on this topic I myself must still get used to asking such stupid stupid stupid questions (normally they are only stupid )
    ...He can code a SMTP client, but doesn't know how to connect to the SMTP server...this must be a laugh for some of you...

Edited by - baskuenen on July 24, 2000 11:26:21 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement