Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PyroniaWatches

sourcecode??

PyroniaWatches    122
im trying to find the sourcecode for a 2D tile based rpg that uses windos api and c++ only, no DirectX or mfc or sdl or Opengl or any other graphics library or gdi. please, if you know of any or know of a place where i can find them, tell me. thanks

Rick Scott    133
I think you might find the GDI a pretty big pain in the ass if all you want to do is make a simple game, and pretty darned slow even for beginner projects. Even if you get a GDI game working, the GDI is pretty much a dead-end. That time you spent learning it his somewhat limited application to the rest of the programming world.

The GDI+ is a bit easier to work with if you want to go that direction.

No matter what, though, your going to have to learn a libarary or interface. Why did you pick the GDI to learn? Its hard, ugly and slow.

Oluseyi    2103
quote:
Original post by Rick Scott
Why did you pick the GDI to learn? Its hard, ugly and slow.
And lumbering toward obsolescence. For Windows applications, Windows.Forms (via the .NET Framework) is a far better option; for graphics, DirectX (available in the .NET Frameworked in Managed form) is now Microsoft''s first-class option.

PyroniaWatches    122
when i started programming the gdi didn''t look as bad as you say it is, and now that ive been programming w/ the gdi it''s hard to quit. But you mentioned gdi+, whats that? Or do you think DirectX would be the best choice?

Rick Scott    133
quote:
Original post by PyroniaWatches
when i started programming the gdi didn''t look as bad as you say it is, and now that ive been programming w/ the gdi it''s hard to quit. But you mentioned gdi+, whats that? Or do you think DirectX would be the best choice?

If you didn''t think GDI was bad, then you will have few problems with learning DirectDraw (or any 2D library for that matter).

PyroniaWatches    122
well, i know it sucks know and i want to try directx but everytime i try learning from tutorials i get stuck or confused or so on and so on. Anyone know what i could do, i really want to learn directx but...???