sourcecode??

Started by
12 comments, last by PyroniaWatches 20 years, 2 months ago
im trying to find the sourcecode for a 2D tile based rpg that uses windos api and c++ only, no DirectX or mfc or sdl or Opengl or any other graphics library or gdi. please, if you know of any or know of a place where i can find them, tell me. thanks
Advertisement
Tell me, do you want this game to have graphics?
[ PGD - The Home of Pascal Game Development! ] [ Help GameDev.net fight cancer ]
yeah, but i was told that you could load bitmaps with windows
Yeah, you can, but those functions are part of GDI, which you said you didn''t want.
sry, typing to fast. i meant no graphcs library only. not the gdi too.
I think you might find the GDI a pretty big pain in the ass if all you want to do is make a simple game, and pretty darned slow even for beginner projects. Even if you get a GDI game working, the GDI is pretty much a dead-end. That time you spent learning it his somewhat limited application to the rest of the programming world.

The GDI+ is a bit easier to work with if you want to go that direction.

No matter what, though, your going to have to learn a libarary or interface. Why did you pick the GDI to learn? Its hard, ugly and slow.
quote:Original post by Rick Scott
Why did you pick the GDI to learn? Its hard, ugly and slow.
And lumbering toward obsolescence. For Windows applications, Windows.Forms (via the .NET Framework) is a far better option; for graphics, DirectX (available in the .NET Frameworked in Managed form) is now Microsoft''s first-class option.
DirectDraw comes to mind.
when i started programming the gdi didn''t look as bad as you say it is, and now that ive been programming w/ the gdi it''s hard to quit. But you mentioned gdi+, whats that? Or do you think DirectX would be the best choice?
I know nothing ''bout GDI+. Except where it is on MSDN. Here.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement