Re. the current "you have spyware" ad

Started by
26 comments, last by rileyriley 20 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by Myopic Rhino
At the moment, though, I''m in the last two weeks of finishing a book, so I haven''t had a lot of spare time.

?
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
Advertisement
You know, I don''t really have a problem with with people blocking popups, but people blocking regular ads really annoys me. That''s why you''ve seen so many independent sites shut down or convert to a members-only format.

I just noticed that an ad I clicked on (a GameDev OpenGL book) wouldn''t open. It was linked to someplace at www.burstnet.com (which I can''t open directly either). Instead it went to http://icusrv.jhuapl.edu:15871/cgi-bin/blockpage.cgi?ws-session=4043407624
(my work domain is jhuapl.edu). Is it possible for our server guys to use some ad blocker and block it before it even gets to me? After reloading the page, now several ads just show up as black or white space with no link. Is this my work censoring the internet for me or are there current problems with some ads?

P.S Does just clicking an ad then hitting back help you guys? Or do you have to actually enter further within the ad site to get credit?

Tadd
- WarbleWare
Tadd- WarbleWare
On a related note, it would be a good idea to have the ads open in a new window when you click on them.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I agree about opening in another window. Well, I just got an e-mail saying they''re more strictly monitoring/restricting our internet usage. Using something called Websense.

quote:Websense also manages access to sites that compromise our Internet firewall (e.g., peer-to-peer filesharing applications), and a large percentage of the sites serving pop-up advertisements or malicious code, which takes advantage of web browser vulnerabilities.

Guess that probably explains it - they just don''t have the part giving us a message about it working yet.

Tadd
- WarbleWare
Tadd- WarbleWare
quote:Original post by clum
I wouldn''t want to "not support" gamedev (It''s possibly my favourite website besides Google), but the truth is that I''ve NEVER bought anything because of an ad on the Internet, so what''s the point of viewing them? If you do collect statistics on ad-views (as opposed to click-through''s), then I''d consider setting privoxy to allow ads through gamedev (though it might be complicated with remote links).
Most of the ads that we show pay on a per-view basis. Only a handful pay per click.
quote:Original post by reana1
P.S Does just clicking an ad then hitting back help you guys?
Yes. Even if the ad in question doesn''t pay per click, having a high clickthru rate encourages the ad networks to send us higher-quality ads.
Most of the ads that we show pay on a per-view basis. Only a handful pay per click.

Then we reach a compromise. Adblock can be set to download the ads, but not display them. It still displays the ad as it downloads it, but once the ad finishes downloading, it''s removed from the page.
quote:Original post by clum
I wouldn''t want to "not support" gamedev (It''s possibly my favourite website besides Google), but the truth is that I''ve NEVER bought anything because of an ad on the Internet, so what''s the point of viewing them? If you do collect statistics on ad-views (as opposed to click-through''s), then I''d consider setting privoxy to allow ads through gamedev (though it might be complicated with remote links).
Fine, next time I go onto Linux (my normal operating system of choice, I''m only in Windows because someone else in my family was using the computer), I''ll disable my ad-blocking options for Gamedev, though if the ads are remotely hosted, that might not help. I''ll see what I can do.

The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Hmmm... I''m not sure if changing my Privoxy options helped. Now I get a box where there should be an ad. Nevertheless, I don''t think I''ve ever seen a normal ad there (as opposed to when I use GameDev the few times I''m on Windows, where I don''t have privoxy set up). Sometimes the ad is a plain white box, sometimes (like now), it says "Privoxy blocked", a really long URL (currently http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client-ca-pub-3167291168602081&random= and the rest is cut off), and "See why or go there anyway." Sometimes, for some reason, it says "Click here" blue and underlined, but its clearly an image with a white background, not a standard text link. Are these counting as ad-views? Has anyone succeded in getting privoxy to allow regular gamedev ads?

The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement