• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rileyriley

Re. the current "you have spyware" ad

This topic is 5630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The current popup attempts to trick you into thinking you have spyware on you computer, even if you don''t. I think there''s something really wrong about that.

Advertisement
No worse than those adds that try to resemble Windows so you will click the X and get sucked to there site. No worse than those IM (ha) popups withing "someone" wanting to chat with you. No better than that one popup that "scans" (someones a preaty leet popup haxor to get this to work) your computer then tells you you need there program to help it run most efficiently.

Popups, just say NO!

I''m just registering my disgust at them in the hope that gamedev will pick different ads in the future. Gamedev.net is one of the few sites I allow popups from, but if they''re going to be illegitimate I won''t for very much longer.

They don''t pick and chose the pop-ups they recieve, they are on an ad service.

Just get a popup-blocker, but when you see an ad that does interest you in the banner, click on it, it''s good for the site.

Get the Google Tool Bar install it, disable all the features but popup blocking, and shove it way over to the right of the address bar. You will never notice its there, and you will never get another popup again.

Popup ads are evil. Fortunately, I''m able to block them, but if I couldn''t, I would probably stop visiting this site.

That new virus alert banner that showed up today is pretty damn annoying too. I hope the owners of this website can find it within themselves to raise their advertising standards a little.

quote:
Original post by Eric Lengyel
Popup ads are evil. Fortunately, I''m able to block them, but if I couldn''t, I would probably stop visiting this site.

That new virus alert banner that showed up today is pretty damn annoying too. I hope the owners of this website can find it within themselves to raise their advertising standards a little.

Wow, I didn''t know you even visited this site. I want your autograph.

Well, I specifically *allow* popups from this site because I want to support it.. it would just be nice if the ads were at least not trying to trick me.

It seems silly to put such an ad on this website anyway, as we''re probably a more technically-competent crowd and are more likely to identify it as a hoax than others..

quote:
Original post by Eric Lengyel

As has been mentioned, we use third party ad services, so we don't have as much control as we'd like over the specific ads that get shown. I *do* go through from time to time and prune out the ads that look particularly annoying, and if I notice something on the site that's particularly bad, I'll login and remove it. At the moment, though, I'm in the last two weeks of finishing a book, so I haven't had a lot of spare time.

We'd like to eventually eliminate popunders entirely, and limit the banner ads to those directly targeted at our visitors (i.e. for goods and services related to game development). We don't have the resources to do that yet, but we're getting there.
quote:
Original post by rileyriley
It seems silly to put such an ad on this website anyway, as we're probably a more technically-competent crowd and are more likely to identify it as a hoax than others.
The people who place those ads don't even know what specific sites the ad is running on. They just go to someplace like Burst Media and buy a run-of-network campaign, which is completely untargeted, but cheap.

Thanks Dave. Not trying to slam your site -- just that one ad was giving me seizures. BTW, that second quote in the previous post isn''t mine.

Good luck with your book -- I know how stressful the last two weeks can be.

cowsarenotevil: I usually hang out in the Graphics Programming and Theory, Math and Physics, and OpenGL forums.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!