directx 9 performance on low end latpops

Started by
6 comments, last by vicviper 20 years, 2 months ago
recently, I tested some of my demos in a low end computer, and I was impressed of seeing framerates of 1 or 2 fps!!! then, I did what I usually do to verify if it was a fault of my demos or not: I executed the Dolphin Tween demo that comes in the DX 9 SDK, it gave me an amazing 20fps computer specs: Pentium II mmx 266mhz win98 (installed two days before the tests) ATI Rage 128 video card w/ 16mb ram DirectX 9.0b and latest card drivers installed ATI rage drivers for directx8, latest driver version availiable. So, what's up? The Tween Dolphin demo does nothing!!, just draws two 500poly models on screen!! the demo ran at 640x480 full screen rgb565 and vertical sync disabled... and 20fps is a very low count... and it can't be the demo's fault because it's microsoft stuff! (I didn't modified it in any way) also tested quake 1&2, they run on that computer very smooth... the only thing I can figure is that directx9 uses a huge amount of CPU to translate to the dx8 compliant drivers... [edited by - vicviper on January 22, 2004 1:14:45 PM]
Advertisement
your computer SUCKS thats why

As for my laptop it has a crummy intergarted S3 chip. T&L and DX9 don''t work. Its only one or two years old
What kind of framerates did you get with DX8? I''d say your lucky DX runs at all with that configuration.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
your computer SUCKS thats why

As for my laptop it has a crummy intergarted S3 chip. T&L and DX9 don''t work. Its only one or two years old

fortunately, it''s not my computer...

but, you don''t know how much people still has computers like that one, and is trying to run new games.

quote:Original post by Dave Hunt
What kind of framerates did you get with DX8? I''d say your lucky DX runs at all with that configuration.

haven''t tested with the dx8 version of dolphin demo, but I don''t think there''s a big difference between dolphin9 and dolphin8

ati rage 128 cards are not so bad... after all, they are able to run quake 2 smoothly...

and, don''t tell me dx9 dolphin tween demo requires more processing power than quake 2
My point is that the topic of your post is questioning DirectX 9 performance. I suspect that you would get no better performance with DirectX 8.
If the demo has a low frame rate, and your game has a low frame rate, you can rule out software design flaws. Although, some may exist, I wouldn''t know, haven''t seen it. It''s obviously because the hardware is so old in this case.

Most people who go out and buy new, cutting edge 3D games don''t try to play them on old, outdated machines. Take the pre-current technology that is accessible for about 800 to 1000 dollars and make sure your software works on that hardware. Then declare that the minimum requirements match that. You won''t find a new game released that requires a P II 266 with at least 16 MB of video ram. If I read that on the box, I''d put it back. In the gaming industry, you have to just accept that people with out-of-date equipment are going to be removed from the profit pool.

Good luck,
Chris
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005
I think the problem is with drivers.Tom forsyth said that the drivers of laptops are generally bad.in other words you can''t take a laptop as a standard or expect to get the same as a pc even if it has the same components(memory,processor,vga card and so on).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement