Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debo

Rotation About a Point *Newb Alert*

debo    122
Hi, I currently am working on my first project in Direct X 9, the idea being that is a driving game. However I have come upon my first problem that is really bugging me. I so far a rudimentary movement function for the car and it seems to work fine, but for my wheels (which are rendered as four independent meshes) I cannot get them to rotate around the car. I have tried parametric equations for circular movement as such, xMove = cos( (2 * PI) * m_fElapsedTime); zMove = sin( (2 * PI) * m_fElapsedTime); Which keeps the wheels in the same postion in the X-Z plane, but I cannot get them to roate together aroudn the center of the car. I think part of the problem is that the ordering of the matrix multiplication is not right but it is hard since as far as i know you can only multiply two matrices together at one time within Direct X. Any help is greatly appreciated Debo

azn_elliot    122
I believe the order should be (considering everything is being drawn at the origin temporarily until translated as to where it should be) as to using matrices..

-Rotate each wheel (considering even the back wheels turn too)
-Translate them as to where they should be alligned with, under the car.
-Rotate the car and wheels
-Translate the car and wheels as to where it should be