Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Makro

Software 3d rasterizer?

Makro    122
I have developed a 3d engine that uses opengl and would like to add a software rasterizer for users without hardware 3d acceleration. It need not be very advanced, my engine uses nothing outside of opengl 1.1. I would like a platform independent library that renders a 3d scene quickly to a memory surface that I then can blit to whatever window I have under a certain platform. Any ideas on what''s available?

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Good news, you already have it done! OpenGL will fall back on software if it can not find hardware acceleration.

Makro    122
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Good news, you already have it done! OpenGL will fall back on software if it can not find hardware acceleration.

Yes, but it''s too slow. I''m looking for things like the software renderer in fastgraph (www.fastgraph.com) (windows only) or the Panard Vision realtime 3d Engine (www.panardvision.com).

quasar3d    814
MesaGL, that way you don''t even have to change your code much, since it is an opengl implementation. If you want something fast, I think swshader is a good choise, since generates the shader code at run time, so there won''t be much if''s and switch''s in the inner loop, which you otherwise would have, if you want different render shaders (ie texture blending or so)

My Site

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

Not for everything. For example, if there is no support for bump mapping or multitexturing, then these features cannot be implicitly done for you in software. You''ll have to do these things yourself.