Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic One

Sprite Sizes

Cosmic One    308
I''m working on a game that will have a 2-d fighting style to it, along the lines of marvel vs. capcom... just ur usual side scrolling fast paced fighter. I''ve chosen sprites to use, but I plan on modeling them in 3d first. The only reason I consider sprites is so I can have the utmost quality on characters without using up my poly count or other resources for the background. I was wondering, based on people''s experiences, what is considered too big of a file, in terms of dimensions, for sprite storage and performance in this type of situation? for example, would a 200x200 pixel sprite be out of the question? here''s some specs on the game itself: 800x600 resolution 3d environments, rendered in realtime maximum 6 character sprites on screen at once Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks so much Cosmic

Sneftel    1788
Well, what do YOU consider too big? You could easily render thousands of 200x200 sprites per frame on any modern graphics card, and you could hold hundreds of them in graphics card memory without any need to move textures across the bus. Given the sort of game you''re planning, graphics performance will not be a bottleneck issue.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

Cosmic One    308
I guess nothing is really too big for the game, so long as the characters aren''t bigger than like 1/3 of the screen (hence 200x200 pixels). So sprites will hardly drag down performance eh? sounds good to me. Although, I also wanted to know whether (since the sprites are going to be rendered from 3d models anyways) anybody would recommend just using 3d animations over rendering to sprites first, based on past experiences.

Cosmic ******

janos    224
using 3D models will be easier, especially if you plan to render them to sprites (given that you have a renderer). using sprites today is justified only if you want hand drawn graphics, or if you have millions of sprites (like the total war series)