terrain texturing question...

Started by
3 comments, last by no one 20 years, 3 months ago
Hello, Im working on a terrain engine right now and I was wondering how exactly to go about texturing it. What I want to do is have the designer be able to ''paint'' the terrain with different textures. Each quad or every two triangles will have a texture filename attached to it which is the easy part, but what about borders (ie. if the textures don''t overlapp, how can the be blended together). Should there still be a base texture and every other texture is simple a detial?(ie. sand is the base texture or whatever and grass, stone etc is simply a secondary texture). I should add that I have worked on terrains before and know the basics, so please don''t give me a link to game tutorials Thanks in advanced.
"Make it a habit to be loyal to the activities that serve the highest part of yourself."
Advertisement
you need multiple textures, not per quad, but per patch or whatever patch groups make up your terrain (and whatever you called them). you also need weights for these textures, to alpha blend them on top of each other.
also have a look at texture splatting on google...
Alrighty, well after reading your(sBiBi) post I started to do some research on terrains. I wasn't sure exactly what you had ment by patch, but I think I know it now, plus I think I know how you do the texturing...

Each patch is a portion of the full height map, say 128x128 or so in size and containing say 64 tris each. So, to texture each patch, you use the slope/weight algorithym which if converted to a single image would be mapped to the patch and work like a standard texture stretched over 1 huge terrain. Correct?

[edited by - no one on January 22, 2004 9:21:55 PM]
"Make it a habit to be loyal to the activities that serve the highest part of yourself."
could someone tell me if im correct, please? Im working on a over head 3d rpg like diablo 2, so the terrain does not need to
be very complex. I just would like to know what the best method
would be, that would alow the desinger to place say grass textures on various parts of the world, dirt on others, and
roads/paths. Again, I don''t need to use elevation maps, but I need a way to texture the terrain and be able to blend textures
together near the edges. Can anyone help me out here
have a look at this (old but still very interesting, like all the threads where Yann posted... :D) thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=145134

[edited by - sBibi on January 23, 2004 7:11:06 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement