what is a good book(s) for learnng c++???

Started by
14 comments, last by graveyard filla 20 years, 2 months ago
does anyone know any GOOD books for learning c++? i mean learning c++ with no knowledge of programming, not "moving to c++ from c or another language". i got a few books from my school library but they both start with classes and assume you have knowledge of c. i need a newbies gude to c++. as many good books you can list, please do. thank you! ps i checked out the books section in gamedev.net, and i took out 2 books based on what i read. well both books started with classes and OOP! which doesnt help me. thanks for any replies!
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
Thinking in C++, vol1. Is as far as I am concerned a bible for C++, but only if you are serious about learning it. You should probably have some programming skills before reading this though. You can view it for free online (have a look in the C++ Articles on Gamedev for a link).

I also found a good downloadable tutorial on the basics of C,C++ at cplusplus.com, I found it helpful in learning the basic syntax and structure of C++.
thanks, also in the "for beggingers" section of this site, it says c++ primer is a good book for begininers. well i just got the book from the library and it too assumes you have some basic programming knowledge. where is the book that asummes your a complete newbie, and yet is still well written?
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Accelerated C++ is a VERY good book for learning C++. I would definitely recommend it. You can read it without knowledge of programming.
C++ Primer Plus

It assumes that you have no former programming experience and it gives it all to you in nice easy steps.

This book really helped me out the most out of the three that I have.

[edited by - DIRECTXMEN on January 22, 2004 8:46:58 PM]
quote:Original post by DIRECTXMEN
C++ Primer Plus

It assumes that you have no former programming experience and it gives it all to you in nice easy steps.

This book really helped me out the most out of the three that I have.

[edited by - DIRECTXMEN on January 22, 2004 8:46:58 PM]

This is rated the worst book on C++ that has been written (all editions). The author, Stephen Prata, is a C programmer that likes to believe if you throw some C code, mixed with a few C++ keywords into an application, it is writing in C++.

He doesn't teach standard C++, such as using string, vector, map, iterators, etc... and he has a bad coding style.

It's basically the old brutal way C++ used to be taught that authors and readers alike are trying to avoid.

I would stick with either C++ Primer, Thinking in C++, or Accelerated C++. If you are really new to programming try getting your hands on Accelerated C++.

[edited by - Imperil on January 22, 2004 9:09:49 PM]
C++ From the ground up.
Another one bites the dust.
quote:Original post by graveyard filla
does anyone know any GOOD books for learning c++? i mean learning c++ with no knowledge of programming, not "moving to c++ from c or another language".

My suggestion: Strongly consider learning just about any other programming language than C++ as your first.
/me seconds Zahlman''s suggestion.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
"The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup is the best I think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement