Acting Simulation Idea

Started by
7 comments, last by tagged 20 years, 2 months ago
While not a highly original idea, I am proposing to create an Acting Sim, where the player starts as a nobody and tries to become a star in the movie industry. Agents are needed to gain better roles, and skill building is required. This is where I am stuck at the moment, I have 3 different movie genres that you can choose from. Drama, Action and Comedy. Associated with each genre is 3 different skills, as follows Action: Strength, Martial Arts, Stunts Drama: Intellect, Acting Comedy: Humour The problem is I can''t think what other skills are involved for Drama and Comedy, I was thinking of sharing Acting (Drama Skill) and then leaving just two more skills to find. I searched some movie critic''s websites in hope they might contain the answer, but alas. No doubt the answers are staring me in the face, but after a week of writing the design document my head is about to explode. I was thinking of changing the amount of skills if all else fails, having 2 per genre. Although i would really like to have a wider selection, as I wanted to have 4 different critic''s review the movie once filming was complete. Each would concentrate on a perticular skill while the last would give his overall opinion of the movie. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
What about elocution and attractiveness? Charisma? How about timing for comedy?
i wouldn''t include intelligence as a criterion for any of them... while some actors/actresses may in fact be intelligent, i do not think it is required, or even common.

also, do you plan on including "sex with the director" as an option to get a part?
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Thanks for those suggestions, I''ve decided to go with Charisma for Drama and Timing and Creativity for Comedy. I might go with your suggestion of elocution instead of intellect as well

Not sure how to go with the ''sex'' part It could make it''s way in there... I have it so the player chooses a role and takes a Screen Test to see if they are successful, then if they are the filming takes place over a pre-chosen amount of time. This is currently all non-interactive and I am trying to decide if the user should have some interaction when filming to get the best results?? I just want to be careful not to make the game too puzzle Orientated, or have the player dread the filming sections.

Has anyone got any ideas or recommend any previous games that I should look towards for ideas?
Well as we all know not all action stars know kungfu or do their own stunts. What about an option to hire your own stunt man. He gives you bonuses to your stunt factor but might take away from your charisma. I only say this cause its not as impressive to people when you aren''t doing your own stunts. Jackie Chan is one ugly guy but people love him. Can you guess why? It doesn''t have to be taking from the charisma though. Different stuntmen that you hire could do different things.
Wait a minute, why not take the hiring people to another level. Just call it a personal assistant. He / She could be anything. They give you bonuses for helping with your appointments and auditions. They give you bonuses to learning your lines. They could be stunt men. They could be action doubles. Good idea? It may be hard to implement. It''d be a different swing on the gameplay but it could be neat.
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
Great idea, thanks! will do something about that. Currently I have the player starting out with a friend as their agent, and anytime the player wants he can hire a new agent, they cost money upfront and take a certain percentage of the earnings. Each agent has a skill level and this indicates the chances of a Role offer being an Extra, Supporting actor or a Lead Actor. Plus each week the new Roles are offered and the amount of offers depends on their skill level.

I was going to have a section after doing the Screen Test and before the Filming where the player negotiates certain options for filming (one was doing their own stunts, bonus money was the incentive and a possible injury was the downside). Although I do like the idea of hiring different personal assistants, this would help improve the filming section of the game (currently being neglected)...

One thing i forgot to mention is that the game isn''t heavy on the graphics. The only planned graphics are for the faces (and the interface if you want to be picky) which are generated through the different features (nose,ears,hair,head,shirt).
And don''t forget the "butt doubles." When the gals get to be famous, they get to pick who stands in for them in the nude scenes. Saw an interview with some actress recently where she was describing the process of deciding what "butt" she was going to use in place of hers in a shower scene.

(Heck, if you''re dealing with Hollywood, you don''t have to try hard to make stuff up. Reality is far funnier and outlandish than anything you''ll dream up. And of course, some folks say the same thing about my political games. Real life is strange enough. No need to stretch the truth to make it funny.)
Randy ChaseKellogg Creek Software, Inc.
Interesting. A game like this would fill the "Fame & Fortune" category of desire that I mentioned in another thread. I knew the niche, but I couldn't identify any games that filled it.

Was referring to this thread, near the bottom of the 1st page.

[edited by - Veovis on January 26, 2004 2:03:38 AM]
lol, could see it now, you organise to have a butt-extra for your movie to increase your charisma. You get to choose between the cost of the arse and the amount of charisma its rated!! Hmm I think i might turn this game into a prodigy of what hollywood really is like The more famous you get the more mood swings and overall decrease in general skills (cooking,cleaning)

Have the option to record an album when you are famous enough, no matter what your voice sounds like it will sell!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement