Best commercial 3d engine so far?

Started by
11 comments, last by Antony52 20 years, 3 months ago
Many new 3d engines come out but which is the best?Is there a site that shows these things.I mean until this minute I can speak of the following engines: Doom III, Half-Life 2, PAIN Engine for the game Painkiller, Unreal, Crytek for the game Far Cry, Power Render X, X-Ray for the game Stalker Oblivion Lost.Maybe I missed a few.Anyone knows or have an opinion?
Advertisement
Define "best".

You''re asking for opinions. Might as well form one of your own. *shrug*
A couple of other engines you missed are: Gamebryo by NDL (former NetImmerse, used for Dark Age of Camelot, Morowind, and Freedom Force), Renderware (used for things like GTA3), and the Jupiter Engine (former Lithtech, used for things like No One Lives Forever 2 and Alien Vs Predator 2).

Sure they aren''t Doom3 or Source, but they are damn good for certain things, such as cross-platform development (all 3 engines can work on Xbox, PC, PS2, and I think GameCube).

"best Engine" to me just means what is best for the job at hand.

Conan.
Auran Jet
Best for what? What are your requirements for the engine? Speed? Size? Cost? Visual quality? Cross platform capability? Style of game? Ease of programming? Ease of integration of art assets? Comes with source code? Level of support from the developers? Licensing agreements?
Best for what? What are your requirements for the engine? Speed? Size? Cost? Visual quality? Cross platform capability? Style of game? Ease of programming? Ease of integration of art assets? Comes with source code? Level of support from the developers? Licensing agreements?
To actually base an opinion on a game is bad as well. You have to check the source and use it to really have an opinion.

Its not just about the end result for the gamer.
Painkiller uses HL2...
Another one bites the dust.
quote:Original post by Hysteria
Painkiller uses HL2...

No, it uses a proprietry engine. http://www.painkillergame.com/
[teamonkey] [blog] [tinyminions]
you know what would be really handy: a 3d engine review site. Just a thought...

| C++ Debug Kit :: GameDev Kit :: DirectX Tutorials :: 2D DX Engine | TripleBuffer Software |
| Plug-in Manager :: System Information Class :: D3D9 Hardware Enum | DevMaster :: FlipCode |

[size=2]aliak.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement