Sim-Get a life-Life

Started by
11 comments, last by bigwiger 20 years, 2 months ago
Ok - I''m sorry to rant, but I recently saw a thread that really took me. It was some kid whose ideal game was like the sims, except more expansive and was online so that other people on the internet could be in your world. And I just got to thinking - my god, is that what we have come to in our American society? I mean we already have reality shows where Americans can watch other people live their lives, but now games where the idea is that you live in a completely digital world not too far off from the real world. Kid - if you want to play a game where you live in a society and can talk to real humans, it''s called step out the front door. Games are a way of allowing us play roles that have no consequence, so have we gotten to a point in our society where people just don''t want to take the consequence of actually living?
Disgruntled designers are always the best ones
Advertisement
It was just one person''s opinion on their favorite game.

I doubt very many people''s lives, if described in terms of what their favorite things are, are going to seem very glamorous. You never know where a person''s interests will lead them.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
First - yes - it was just one persons opinion, but nobody else saw this idea of a fanatsy game as a means of escapism.

Secondly - "where a person''s interests might lead them" - what is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to state that by this kid making this game he might make it big, because that supports my idea that I this is the way of America. Or do you mean that him being interested in a game that allows him to hide away from his real life might lead him to being some hot shot in the game?

To furthur my distain for the kid''s game, I think that reality shows and games like his or even a game like The Sims are games that completely depict how bad our era of American history is. It makes sense that people want to escape their real lives because we have a president that has turned our lives and our society into a mock 1932 Germany, and has made it that thousands and millions of people have lost their jobs, and that we are being thrown into wars that have no base, and that kills are environment.
"because we have a president that has turned our lives and our society into a mock 1932 Germany, and has made it that thousands and millions of people have lost their jobs"

back up your claims buddy, how and why are we a mock 1932 germany? and your "thousands and millions of people have lost their jobs" quote is outright wrong, look up the facts...
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
quote:Original post by bigwiger
my god, is that what we have come to in our American society? I mean we already have reality shows where Americans can watch other people live their lives, but now games where the idea is that you live in a completely digital world not too far off from the real world.

Oh how i wish i was just US, but its not, its a rash all over the UK and Europe as well.
the whole ''reality'' thing, be it TV shows or games, its probably the greatest commentry on where the ''western world'' is in terms of our socialitys evolution, the fact that people will sit around for hours at a time watching a show about a bunch of people in a house or, in the case of one TV show, about a Salon in london I think shows a definate problem.
For my part, i''m not engaging in it, and while my life might not be the most social of things, at least i can take heart in that it hasnt got to the point where i find shows like that ''entertainment''.

It is like Nazsi Germany in the sense that our president - and he did this jsut today - will give tons of money to media stations in order to slam Dean, and the reason why you haven''t heard of it probably is because the media once again is scrathin'' Bush''s back for the money he and regulations lifted off them. Also - why don''t you support your claims that my saying that hundreds of thousands of people have lost jobs as ficticious? I don''t know about where you live, but in most America, we are suffering what is called a recession where people are loosing jobs.
Sometimes things like this make me happy that I don''t live in the US, don''t get ANY tv, don''t have a descent internet connection or computer...

I completely agree. Americans (myself included) have become overly dependant on the media for information, or disinformation. We have become independant on technology for recreation, and are accustomed to immediate self-fulfillment. In essence, we are a hoard of couch-potatoes who are too lazy to live our own lives, but instead prefer to live the lives of others at our own expense.

Dah.
quote:Original post by Mushu
I completely agree. Americans (myself included) have become overly dependant on the media for information, or disinformation.

Uh, duh...
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
heh, I love it when people just start bashing everything...

[waa]
our country sucks, the media sucks, things are so wrong
we are killing innocent people, more government, less government
[/waa]

who cares.

don''t like it?

do somthing about it.

spend your time trying to get somewhere in life so that you can live out your dying years in relative comfort.

thats my 2 cents =)

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

heh heh, be prepared to check the lounge for your thread when it gets moved. unless it just gets closed instead.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement