Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vanz

Web site hosting woahs....

Vanz    204
Man, my virtualave.net account I''ve had for about 3 years now just shut down their free hosting service. Getting hard to find a decent free web hosting service. For you guys that are making games that aren''t pulling in much cash how are you doing it out of curiousity. I mean I''ve got a couple games (both less than 10mb) that I sell but it''s not really worth paying much for a monthly hosting service plus the domain name. What''s the best way of getting smaller unique games out to the public these days?? Thanks rhuala

Sander    1332
Some people have had good experiences with GarageGames. The opinions about them vary widely. Some say it''s great, other people rather stay away from it. But if you have a couple of games, why not shell out some money for proper hosting? Hosting doesn''t have to be expensive these days.

I am hosted at iPowerWeb for quite some time now. They are pretty good, reliable and have an excellent helpdesk. It''s only $7,95 a month and they have tons on features (PHP, MySql, FrontPage, Forums, PHP-Nuke, 400 email boxes, etcetera). If $7,95 is too much for you, you could consider to join up with a few programming buddies and pay for it together. That way you will also have more contents on the site (which means more visitors).

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
no advertising intended:

i''m using the starter plan of p4host (p4host.com). it''s just 3.99$ a month for 12GB and 300MB space, and it works great.

over here 4$ is a sandwich + a can of coke, definetly possible to spend that on a simple webhosting service. if you intend to sell your games then your customers will thank you for being able to actually access your page with normal speed. free hosting sucks.

Rick Scott    133
Well, if you have a smaller game/project and need a host, you might consider doing your own hosting if you have broadband. Just install Apache and configure it and you should be good to go (after configuring your firewall/router, of course).

Assuming your broadband ISP doesn''t have limits on traffic, you have as much traffic as you want, can host HUGE binary downloads, and have as much webspace as you have HDD space

CProgrammer    303
quote:
Original post by Rick Scott
Well, if you have a smaller game/project and need a host, you might consider doing your own hosting if you have broadband. Just install Apache and configure it and you should be good to go (after configuring your firewall/router, of course).

Assuming your broadband ISP doesn''t have limits on traffic, you have as much traffic as you want, can host HUGE binary downloads, and have as much webspace as you have HDD space

Hey im interested in this method too. How much does it cost all in all and where should I go to get a domain name and attach that to my computer?
-CProgrammer

Extrarius    1412
GoDaddy is the cheapest place I know of to get a domain name at $8.95/year (or cheaper if you pay for more than 1 year).
Thats about all it would cost to host your own site with a domain name (excluding of course the cost for internet service, since you already pay that).

The only downside to it is that you generally won't have the up/down bandwidth a professional hosting service does, so your site might be slow (not a problem usually unless you host large files or get real popular etc.)

I'd recomend 3-95.com if you decide to pay for a host. I haven't found a place that provides more for that price.
Edit: It seems that now, if you register your domain with 3-95.com for $14.95/year, you also get pretty good hosting included. Not much space or bandwidth, but you still get all the great features. You could always go with that now, and later change the domain you point to a server on your computer or another host later (if you did that, you'd probably want to transfer the domain name to GoDaddy to get the cheaper price, but the price isn't bad for the 'free' hosting)

[edited by - extrarius on January 25, 2004 2:57:12 AM]