Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eternal

VBOs and my GF2MX -> crashes

Eternal    1639
I just tried to implement VBOs into my "engine", which led to crashes as soon as i tried to use it. I fiddled around with it for a bit and wrote a simple test-app to verify it was not caused by something else in my game-code (which seemed to work flawlessly before). In my engine all that gets called now before creating the VBO is window creation, OGL initialization and a few other non-complex initialization things. Now it seems like I cant allocate more than _43kb_ of memory using VBOs. Even less if i compile in release mode, although I can''t see why this would be the case. And I always thought it would fall back to AGP mem and not simply crash, if it can''t allocate enough VRAM, was I wrong ? It does not matter how many VBOs I create. As soon as the combined size touches 44kb my app crashes. I tried installing the newest detonator release, did not help either. I don''t reach any rendering code and don''t set any wrong/unneccessary GL states. Hmm, I get the function pointers to the extensions through GLee, but I guess if anything went wrong there I should not be able to get any memory at all. My code for VBO setup looks like this:
			glGenBuffersARB( 1, &(m_VBOVertices) );				
			glBindBufferARB( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, m_VBOVertices );			
			glBufferDataARB( GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, buffer_size, m_vertices, GL_STATIC_DRAW_ARB );
Any ideas ? Or any advice which mistakes somewhere else could lead to this behaviour ?

Dark Rain    157
Might want to check if the pointer to your vertices or some such are valid. It does sound like you''re having memory problems.

Hell, it could be a memory leak in a completly unrelated part of your code that make this part crash. I had such a problem before ^_^.

Eternal    1639
Thanks, was indeed caused by having some garbage inside my vertex-data. Works great now. I still wonder how it even could work with standard VAs and produce the right visual results.