Flabergasted: DLL Debugging

Started by
2 comments, last by Prozak 20 years, 2 months ago
This is a complete new thing for me. I had both my engine, and my dll set on "debug" mode. After generating the dll, i copied it to my engine''s plugins folder. I was flabergasted (sp?) while steping through the code, it jumped into the dll''s code... Does a debug dll have internal source code, or a pointer to the source project? quite nice :D (Visual C++ .Net)

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][Yann L.][Enginuity]
The most irrefutable evidence that there is intelligent life in the Universe is that they haven''t contacted us!

Advertisement
No but the .pdb does know how to line up your dll''s machine code to the source code on your disk!!

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
.pdb?
All I can find is a file named .plg on my dll''s project folder.

Basicly VStudio knows whats going on right?

I was just amazed at how he discovered where that dll''s source project folder was... even because i rename all my dlls to .bxt ("behaviour extensions")...

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][Yann L.][Enginuity]
The most irrefutable evidence that there is intelligent life in the Universe is that they haven''t contacted us!

Nifty, isn''t it.

Another cool thing you can do is debug from your .dll workspace... it will ask you to provide an executable to run it from, and regardless of whether that executable is a debug executable or not, it will still be able to break in your code (although when you first start up it might have a question mark on your breakpoint due to it not knowing the path yet, but it will find it when it gets there).

I believe it was able to find your code because it knew what code it was built from, despite you copying it, from the debug info in the .dll. If you put it on a different machine it will probably give you a "cannot find source" and ask you to browse for it.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement