Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

protomor

Basic DX engine

Ive been reading through alot of books and I understand quite a bit but I dont feel like doing all the initialization code. Does anyone know where I can get the most basic,bare bones direct3d engine?

As to the compile errors, you might want to read his early tutorials. I think he covers setting up your build environment.

You can''t edit the files because they are read-only. Remove the read-only attribute from the files and you should be ok.

hmm, it was a read only problem. Ok ill read threw the tutorials... theres alot of em.
If anyone knows a quick fix heres the errors:
C:\dx\dhEngine.h(181) : error C2065: ''D3DRS_NORMALORDER'' : undeclared identifier
C:\dx\dhEngine.h(181) : error C2057: expected constant expression
C:\dx\dhEngine.h(224) : warning C4200: nonstandard extension used : zero-sized array in struct/union
C:\dx\dhEngine.h(226) : error C2229: class ''dhEngine'' has an illegal zero-sized array

quote:
Ive been reading through alot of books and I understand quite a bit but I dont feel like doing all the initialization code. Does anyone know where I can get the most basic,bare bones direct3d engine?

Don''t you think that you''re being a little lazy? If you don''t want to that one little thing, then what''re you doing programming. Why don''t you just put it in a class or function?

Same here. A couple weeks ago my dad put a program on my computer while I was at work and was bragging because he cleaned my computer up. I came home and was missing 180 megabytes of programming stuff, including most of the DirectX SDK. I''ve lost count on how many times I''ve had to start over.

Pick your favorite demo out of a book. Rip out their code and put in yours.

-----------
VenDrake

"When you and a friend are being chased by a King Cheata, you have but one chance, trip your friend."

What version of DirectX do you use? I have a base engine you can derive from if you use DirectX 8.1 or ^. It has Windows and DirectX. It uses a variable array function (or whatever it is called) for error logging. Windows and DirectX are not wrapped, it has all of the variables and a single create function. It stores the title, width, and height. Also it is for fullscreen (so I don't worry about the caption because it uses the WS_POPUP flag).

[edit] And if you want I could recomment it (I don't comment the basic stuff).

[edited by - Programmer16 on January 23, 2004 10:08:14 PM]