Basic DX engine

Started by
14 comments, last by protomor 20 years, 2 months ago
Ive been reading through alot of books and I understand quite a bit but I dont feel like doing all the initialization code. Does anyone know where I can get the most basic,bare bones direct3d engine?
-protomor-
Advertisement
Most of those books you''ve been reading have excatly that.
The books I have are basically all when 3d stuff was new so their d3d support is very minimal if any at all.
-protomor-
Check out drunkenhyena.com. He''s got tons of tutorials with source code plus the "dhEngine," which is a basic wrapper for Direct3D.
The basic compilation gives me a few errors. plus it wont let me edit anything. :-/ I dont get that.
-protomor-
As to the compile errors, you might want to read his early tutorials. I think he covers setting up your build environment.

You can''t edit the files because they are read-only. Remove the read-only attribute from the files and you should be ok.
hmm, it was a read only problem. Ok ill read threw the tutorials... theres alot of em.
If anyone knows a quick fix heres the errors:
C:\dx\dhEngine.h(181) : error C2065: ''D3DRS_NORMALORDER'' : undeclared identifier
C:\dx\dhEngine.h(181) : error C2057: expected constant expression
C:\dx\dhEngine.h(224) : warning C4200: nonstandard extension used : zero-sized array in struct/union
C:\dx\dhEngine.h(226) : error C2229: class ''dhEngine'' has an illegal zero-sized array
-protomor-
quote:Ive been reading through alot of books and I understand quite a bit but I dont feel like doing all the initialization code. Does anyone know where I can get the most basic,bare bones direct3d engine?

Don''t you think that you''re being a little lazy? If you don''t want to that one little thing, then what''re you doing programming. Why don''t you just put it in a class or function?
Im being lazy in the sense that im tired of doing all this stuff directly from scratch.
-protomor-
You don''t have to do it from scratch every time. Do it once and cut and paste.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement