Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrewCaliburClark

complex vehicle skins

Can anyone show me a tutorial or some tips/advice for creating skins for complex vehicle models. I see so many resources for skinning humanoid models, but not much for vehicles. Especially ones that are between 3500 and 2500 polys. Although many of the techniques for humanoid skinning apply to vehicles, many do not as the models I am trying to skin generally do not have nice continuous contours like most humanoid models. Most "unwrapper" type programs and UV editors create un-decypherable wire meshes when working with models of this type. Can anyone point in a good direction?

I am currently texturing a truck which is built from seperate objects (i.e exhaust pipe, cabin, bumper, wheel...) so what I do is, first, take every object seperately and unwrap it. Then I create a template (512x512 for my purpose) in photoshop of whatever I need to texture based on the unwrapings, draw the texture based on that template and then apply the texture onto the objects. It might be harder to do if your whole vehicle is one big mesh, but I am guessing you can still select each desired part (by selecting faces) and unwrap that one by one.

[edited by - TheKnife on January 25, 2004 10:57:39 AM]