Creating a 3ds file loader with collison detection?

Started by
1 comment, last by DevLiquidKnight 20 years, 2 months ago
I was wondering if anyone had a site that would explain creating a 3ds file loader.. but not just creating it also how to use the 3ds file to load the models into the directx scene, and how to setup collsion detection with the mesh ect? Since its kinda a complex area, collsion detection; I am not sure where I can find this info, ill try a few searches on google and see what comes up. Any other help would be greatly appreicated though [edited by - DevLiquidKnight on January 23, 2004 3:14:36 PM]
Advertisement
I''d suggest looking into OBBTrees (Oriented Bounding Box Trees) for collision detection; they''re a pain to get working (in my experience), but they''re rather efficient once you get them there.

If you don''t want to mess with OBBTrees (and I won''t blame you) you could start with a sphere tree (which is probably slower because spheres are generally much larger than the object that they bound) or an AABBTree (Axis-Aligned Bounding Box Tree). Though the problem with AABBTrees is that you have to recompute them whenever the object moves.

http://www.magic-software.com has some great collision detection information. You may want to check it out
Wow lots of information!! *bookmarks url*... however what is the name on that site for the one ur talking about I see things like.. bounding volumes.. ect?

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on January 23, 2004 3:58:18 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement