How does a game like this get on shelfs? (Must read!)

Started by
35 comments, last by Cyber-Ace 20 years, 2 months ago
Hey...! they supply a patch!!heheheh.he.he. LOL...I wonder if it's got another 2 or 3% of the game in there! ;O)

http://www.stellarstone.com/Files/BigRigsPatch_Nov16.exe

GCoder

[edited by - GCoder on January 27, 2004 12:32:33 PM]
GCoder
Advertisement
Probably has the AI controled truck move in a STRAIGH LINE between start and finish in a certain time that slow decreases as the dificulty goes up.

STRAIGH LINE. Through any obsticles in the way, gas stations, ligh posts, your own truck. And up any hill, 30 degree grades, 60 degree grades, up 90 degree cliffs... Or perhaps it just makes a STRAIGH line and goes right through the hills too?

Or perhaps not?

I wonder...
There MY 1s and 0s, I'll do whatever I want to them...
By ''indies'' I didn''t mean independant developers (though they''re certainly something else to look at), I meant independent retailers.

There''s a shop about five minutes walk from here called ''The Electric Dungeon.'' It''s an independent retailer; it''s not part of a chain. The guy there deals with distributors and so on himself. Aside from PC, PS2, GBA, and XBox games, he also stocks some DVD films, and a bunch of sci-fi stuff (Star Wars/Trek models and merchandise). I''ve actually spoken to him about selling some of my stuff there, i.e. self-publishing; he said that as long as it''s good, then he''s perfectly happy to push a few copies for me.

For him, though, he has a very limited amount of shelf space, and the nature of the cash flow for a place like that means he can''t buy up stock and just keep it in the back room. He needs to sell what he buys in. So, he''s very up to date with what''s coming out, very knowledgable about not just what''s available but also what the reviewers are saying.

For chain retailers, it''s different. Stock is bought centrally, and cash flow is such that they don''t need to be supremely careful about what they buy in; they can buy according to quotas based on the popularities of game genres, without paying much attention to the individual game. The high-profile releases will get taken care of, certainly, but most of the ''space filler'' is just whatever they have lying around.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Something else to consider is that publishers PAY the larger game retail chains to stock their games, put out a display they ship them, etc.; there''s a reason that every Sims release has a nice space on the shelves, or a nice custom display unit as soon as you walk IN: not only did EA pay the developers, pay to have it put in a box, do magazine marketing, pay distributors to carry/ship the game, but they''re also paying the RETAILERS to make sure they''re game(s) get the best spot(s) in the store. It''s got nothing to do with game quality; that''s why Daikatana, before entering the bargain bin the week after release (in some places, the week OF release) had a nice, color, big-ass custom cut-out stand in the big retail stores.

Microsoft even requires a certain amount of space AROUND their stands, so that their games/XBox can stand out. If your store isn''t big enough to give them the required space, you don''t get a SINGLE XBox to sell. I''m just using them as an example because they''re so well-known; most major publishers/console developers do exactly the same thing. Sony''s requirements (though, like MS, they paid for stores to display their wares in high-traffic areas) were even MORE ridiculous when the PS2 came out, but of course everyone harped on Microsoft''s demands because, well, they''re Microsoft, and people would harp on them about Bill Gate''s using too much air if they could somehow measure it w/o him knowing.

-Nick "digisoap" Robalik
Web & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Design
http://www.digital-soapbox.com
nick@digital-soabox.com
-Nick "digisoap" RobalikWeb & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Designhttp://www.digital-soapbox.com[email=nick@digital-soapbox.com]nick@digital-soabox.com[/email]
quote:Original post by glassJAw
Move over Xtreme Paintbrawl...

Xtreme Paintbrawl (and it''s sequel!) were bad, but they weren''t THAT bad. This game is...wow...beyond bad. It''s so bad, it gives bad things a bad name, and makes the developers of good things look positively divine, if not 100% god-like, in their abilities to make things not suck.

I actually went out and bought this game (and returned it less than an hour later, which I got away w/ by claiming "it wouldn''t run, which isn''t far from the truth), because I had to see for myself just HOW bad the game was. And, like I said, dear lord...I''d rather have my eyes gouge, tounge torn out, fingernails bent back while castrating myself with a dull, rusty, rabies-and-tb-coated butter knife than play this game ever again. I''d encourage everyone to go out and get the game to see just how bad it is, so they know exactly what NOT to do in a game, but only if they''re 100% sure they could return it for a FULL refund if they bring it back the same day, so we can ensure that the publishers do not make a dime to spend towards making another game of similar quality, or - even worse - a SEQUEL to this one.

NO SOUND...I mean, seriously, other than a few shite techno loops (which, like the reviewer, I couldn''t get to work in-game, and listened to them outside of it - wasn''t missing anything, though they may be the best part of the game), but other than that, NOTHING. I assumed the reviewer just couldn''t get them to work and so said there were none, but after hacking up the data files, there really WAS no audio.

This game is so obviously unfinished that those who purchase it but can''t return it should file a class-action lawsuit against the publisher for not delivering on their promises. In fact, every game publisher in the industry, computer or console, should do the same, as this publisher - and developer, we can''t forget them, since they so obviously were involved in the scam - is giving all game designers, developers & publishers a bad name. While most publishers would LOVE to be able to get away w/ this kind of shite (many do, really, especially the bigger ones - the games they publish just cost more to develop and for the customer to purchase, and aren''t QUITE so obvious about the product being unfinished or a non-game), this is simply going to far.

-Nick "digisoap" Robalik
Web & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Design
http://www.digital-soapbox.com
nick@digital-soabox.com
-Nick "digisoap" RobalikWeb & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Designhttp://www.digital-soapbox.com[email=nick@digital-soapbox.com]nick@digital-soabox.com[/email]
Here''s one of the reviews:

I have received a copy of this game, and all I have to say is WOW. I was blow away from the very beginning. See I am a cheater, and will do anything it takes to unlock the full game right from the start. This game must have come PREHACKED. Not only was every area unlocked as soon as I launched the game, but someone must have seriously hacked the code, screwed with it, and submitted it to a producer who was willing to take a chance.

This game can be very intense at times. I even found myself doing such things as, moving forward, backing up and spinning myself so fast that I actually warped into a parallel universe filled with glitchy textures and white blank space. No other game can match the thrill you receive when playing a game of this magnitude.

This game is VERY realistic, don''t listen to any other reviewer that says else wise. When I was watching the video review I noticed he was driving THROUGH buildings, what you dont see is, that he is driving through the front door of the buildings and simply exiting out of the back door, you have to look really closely. You may have also seen the part where he goes up mountains without reducing speed and then fling himself into a white death. Ohh look what’s the on the top if the mountains? LOOKS LIKE ICE!. The truck simply hits the hills at such a force the ice drives it up the side of the hill without warning. The white part is just a cliff, a cliff that has no bottom, I''m sure you have seen these before.

All and All this game is a must have, and at only $9.99 it’s a STEAL!!

By fidothe
[POSTED: 2004-01-27 22:14:17]
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7
quote:Original post by JNewt
...and at only $9.99 it’s a STEAL!!

Literally.

[edited by - Luctus on January 30, 2004 1:56:17 PM]
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement