ugly bug :(

Started by
6 comments, last by dave768k 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi, anybody got an idea why I get these ugly bugs in my game? http://dave.768k.de/pics/bug1.png thx
Advertisement
It appears, offhand, to be a ZBuffer precision issue.

What type of ZBuffer are you using? What are the near and far planes you have set? And how do they compare to the geometry you''re rendering?
This may not be the best help but ill try I have had this problem too. One thing I think it may be related to is your FOV? im not sure though... however one thing I tried adding to my game to try and correct this problem was fog. it made objects further away kinda dissapear :/ but once again im not sure so if anyone else knows that would be great

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on January 23, 2004 3:58:39 PM]
thanks for the replies. I use managed directX 9, and didn`t added a precision to the vertex buffer. I just generate a device, and then clear the zbuffer. Well I`m very new to directX, ^^. Fog wouldn`t solve the problem, because the feet should be seen clearly ^^. But how can I define the ZBuffer in detail?
What are the near and far clip plane values set to in your projection set up? It looks like you can probably fix this just by setting your near clip plane value to something greater than 1, but it may also be that your far value is too large.
Ok, I found the problem. I used the DepthFormat.D16 as the AutoDepthStencilFormat. After changing it to DepthFormat.D24S8 or DepthFormat.D24X8 it is now displayed correctly.
You can also try W-Buffering
GraphicsWare|RenderTechhttp://www.graphicsware.com3D Graphics & Solutions
quote:Original post by aker_jus
You can also try W-Buffering

W-buffering is deprecated.

quote:Ok, I found the problem. I used the DepthFormat.D16 as the AutoDepthStencilFormat. After changing it to DepthFormat.D24S8 or DepthFormat.D24X8 it is now displayed correctly.

You can partition your scenes into slices, based on z-distance. You order these slices, and render them far-to-near, each with its own z-clear and near/far clip plane values.

Muhammad Haggag

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement