Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iNfuSeD

REALITY GAMES

reality tv shows are allready a huuuuge hit. They may not be good but they sure the hell are popular. The Sims (the entire collection of the sims) is the highest netting game of all time (i heard that somewhere). Is there a niche for this reality market in the game industry? I''m not suggesting make a game based off the reality shows like a jo schmo game or an american idol game, those would blow monkey ass. I could tell the publisher that straight from idea proposal that it would be no good and be absolutely confident in that fact. Now personally i don''t think reality tv shows are any more real than jerry springer. What they really are are just actors that are given script "notes". Remember how the blair witch project was done? This is the exact technique that i think reality tv show producers use to make their shows. They''re only structured to appear to be real. (its really sad how so many people really think it is really real). So here''s an idea for a REALITY GAME! Its just like the sims, however there''s a little more direction. It functions just like one of the million reality tv show houses that exist today. You control one of the characters of the show. Situations arise and you deal with them as is. Very similar to the sims, yet i''d scratch things like having to go to the bathroom every 20min out of the game. Gameplay would be "situation" driven. Play through the season to find out who the mole is, or find out who''s been kidnapping the other characters, or win all the "challenges". Any other ideas for how to make a reality game are greatly welcomed. I just did the sim rip off idea to get this thread started with a fresh idea. I think that if done properly and filled with tons of market hype, buzzwords and other things that have made reality tv shows so succesful, these kind of games could ride the wave of success that is being made by the reality tv shows. Come on people lets hear what you got

Actually I did see an American Idol video game out... i didnt give it a second look, but honestly, what could this game possibly contain? All they did in the TV show was have people sing, have judges bitch, have fans scream, and have hosts interview.... how on earth does this translate into a game? Reality video games sound like a terrible idea to me.

Cosmic

quote:
Original post by Cosmic One
Actually I did see an American Idol video game out... i didnt give it a second look, but honestly, what could this game possibly contain? All they did in the TV show was have people sing, have judges bitch, have fans scream, and have hosts interview.... how on earth does this translate into a game? Reality video games sound like a terrible idea to me.

Cosmic

quote:

I''m not suggesting make a game based off the reality shows like a jo schmo game or an american idol game, those would blow monkey ass. I could tell the publisher that straight from idea proposal that it would be no good and be absolutely confident in that fact.

That''s allready been established that any game based on a reality tv show would suck. Think of a game thats based on the general idea of reality shows, not a specific reality show. It doesn''t even have to be considered in the game that cameras are about. It just has to be something that someone who loves all kinds of reality shows would like to sit down and play.

The question is, how do we appeal to this market niche? It looks as if it is quite huge, looking at the success of the Sims.

I thought the main point of games was to ESCAPE reality, to be/do something you would/could not normaly do (either ever, or at that time).

All a reality-tv show like game would do is provide a title/reason for an average game, as there will be no real reality involved anyhow.

Just my 2c

Unfortunately, I think the bottle neck of it all is the conversations. Such a game would need plenty of dialog and it would be impractical, unrealistic and infact impossible to script dialog for it all.
The alternative would be to use some chatterbot system but it would be virtually impossible to get one acting like a human. Humans are really random but computers are not. Damn it, we need fake algorithms make things random, unless you want to connect a giga-mueller counter to the computer or something. It would be hard to get out the massive variance in responce of a human in any given situation. Then what about the personalities that makes us all different?
This all means it would be so hard to get the bots to act in a way that would come close to simulating the level of human behaviour that an audience would demand.
The idea would be interessting though...

Mind you, he cites reality tv shows but the whole concept is applicable to anything. Imagine a psychologic thriller where you have no idea who to trust. Instead of shooting the hell out of anything that moves you could act out the actual story parts that drive movies along, instead of watching shoddy, badly lip synced cut-scenes.

Just throwing out some ideas here...and yes this would take an IMMENSE amount of scripting but it could prove promising.

give a player dialogue choices ala Bioware games. And have a players choices affect the relationships with the virtual characters. Everytime a new game is started there are certain plot points (alliances that are made, people attracted to other people, people who don''t get along) that are random giving a different experience each game. Now make the game a sort of party game as well. Think Mario Party or maybe even simpler like Wario Ware Mega Micro Games. So you have all of these scripted conversations that will take place who knows when from game to game. And your responses affecting different plot points each time you play. In addition you have these simple yet enjoyable Mini-games providing the "challenges" or competitions that you see in the various Reality shows. This could possibly work. Don''t approach the game like a RPG or something that is going to take a while. Make each time a player sits down to play the game a new experience in and of itself. Heck incorporate a multiplayer angle and you might have something.

Why would you need conversations? The sims games use pictograms to convey conversations. You don''t have to give the players the real conversation, just let them imagine that part. Show them pictures of topics going on in conversations much like the sims does.
In fact scratch dialog all together. It doesn''t need to be an issue at all. Its boring. In the game idea i had, i said it would be situation based. So as you''re living in this reality house, think the real world or something, you interact with the other people in it either positively or negatively. Form alliances with other roommates or warn other room mates they better not try to compete with you or anything. The idea isn''t completely fleshed out at all however so just use your imagination. I don''t understand why dialog needs to be completely scripted though. Its not needed. Its never been done before. Work around it if you need to. What i''m trying to start here are ideas for games that would appeal to the large number of people that watch reality tv shows. Why do they love reality tv shows? cause they think they''re watching real life situations. This is why soaps were so popular for so long. This is why cops is a huge hit. This is why reality tv shows (ones they think are completely real) are blowing all those other shows out of the water. They like these shows cause they are supposedly real situations and real life. You don''t need to make a game that is about "real life" to appeal to these people. Think outside the box for a moment. Reality tv shows aren''t real life, they''re just made to convinve people that they''re watching real life. How do we make a game that takes that concept. Make a game that people think they''re in some sort of real situation in real life? Something that they might do in their life. Is there any other way to do this other than the sims?

// Cosmic One
Ya well... you''re right. I think I was just getting a little carried away. But still such a game engine would churn out my idea as well as a ''reality show'' game.

One flaw in the reasoning though. People watch reality TV because they are fed up with overly done cliche drama serials and comedy shows relying on one-liners, all acted out by B-list actors. They want to see people like themselves react to a whole manner of different situations. Unfortunalety computer actors don''t even have the ability of 3rd rate actors and not even the eloquence of speech of mouldy failed-film-scripter tv writers. What games can do very well is provide cool FX and action, or RTS interaction where you basically are god. And thats the type of games that will contiune to be produced until some magnificent AI in the speech direction comes along.

On the scripting part, it really would be a nightmare. There would be an incredible amount of dialog because you would want it as non linear as possible.

Why bother with scripting dialog?

Just take the whole concept and move it online and let the characters/players provide the dialog. They''ll be far more creative - and unpredictable - than anything you could write.

And I think a reality-show-type competition is going to have appeal if its other "real" folks (using the word "real" very loosely here!) the player is competing against.

what about "survivor"? i only watched one episode, and thought it was pretty much a waste of time, but based on ratings the general public just eats it up.

make the player one of the characters put on the island. they have to help their group build a hut, get food and water, deal with stuff (bugs, snakes, cannibals even). they''d have to perform those challenges (using some sort of simple input that is appropriate for all of the challenges, but not so complex that it isn''t worth playing) for points or however it works. they''d have to try to get friendly with at least some of the other characters (by being nice, helping them, gossiping with them, lying about the others to gain a foothold, etc... all done with an abstract interface like the sims so there wouldn''t have to be scripted conversations) so they don''t get voted off the island.

i think the hardest part to model would be the socializing to not get voted away part; but in its abstracted form, it might just be possible (make sure to throw in variables to handle whether the other characters might realize you are BSing them, or are hateful and won''t be nice no matter what, etc).

of course, getting the license to publish the game would probably be worse than the actual programming

quote:
Original post by krez
what about "survivor"?

of course, getting the license to publish the game would probably be worse than the actual programming

They''ve already done a Survivor game. I actually have a copy of it here in the office somewhere. But even though I''m a big fan of the show, I''ve never gotten around to actually taking a look at the game.