• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joeyg2477

Programming Windows book

This topic is 5323 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok i am thinking about buying the Programming Windows book by Charles Petzold ...Everywhere I have read said it is probably the best book for windows programming, but it uses C code....well my question is that since I am learning c++(at this time) will this book still be good for me (meaning the code in the book is in C so will the C++ version of the code be much different)... also if anyone has read this book please comment on it(it is kind of an old book so I am sure some of you have) thanx

Advertisement
C is a subset of C++. Thus, any C code can compile and run as-is with a C++ compiler, with VERY few exceptions (C allows you to use "new" as a variable name, for example).

I''d go with that book. You may think at some point something like: "why is he using function pointers when a virtual interface would be simpler?" and then you realize that that''s the difference between C and C++.

and of course if you are using .NET, there is the NEW Programming .NET book by Peltzoid ... just as humongous as the old book

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!