Asset Tracking

Started by
8 comments, last by Syphoon 20 years, 2 months ago
atm, we''re using CVS for source control, but a web server for textures and other binaries. This isn''t ideal, but we can''t afford something like alienbrain, so does anyone know of something open source that''s even slightly competent at binary asset management?
Advertisement
Nope, im using CVS as well for asset management as well as code versiong. It seems like someone could take the CVS core and recode it to handle binary data better.

-ddn
Have you considered Subversion?
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
What specifically is wrong with CVS for this? My project at work uses CVS to store binary files, with no problems. My intention is not to flame but to better understand the shortcomings of CVS in this regard.

Thanks...

"Set Phasers to neuter..."
"2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2."

[edited by - roger_hq on January 26, 2004 3:57:05 PM]
_____________________________http://www.deepbluefuture.com"Set Phasers to neuter...""2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2."
CVS really isn''t so adept at serving the purpose of binary assets, especially art ones such as sound effects, music, textures, models. The reason for this is what CVS (and Subversion) are targeted to be: Source Control Systems. They keep the source for a project in a central location and its history.

Sounds ok. But this isn''t all you need for binary file stuff. CVS especially (subversion''s a bit better), since it isn''t atomic. But say your artists want to keep two versions of the same texture at the same time, because they''re experimenting to see which one''s best and haven''t fully decided yet. They want it to have the same file name, but have two (or multiple) versions concurrently in repository. Traditional source control systems simply aren''t suitable.
Is it also true that source code control systems, like CVS, have been so optimized for 1970''s storage of text files (ie that anyone cares how much storage space even ludicrous numbers of text files might be taking up) that they can be troublesome when you try to put tens or hundereds of gigabytes of multi-megabyte binaries into them?
Not so sure about that one, but it might be somewhat true with CVS. Could be utterly wrong though, I leave that option open. Subversion''s newer, but yeah, they''re both really optimized for text.
The problem with CVS and binnary data is that CVS doesn''t support diffs for binary files thus needing to keep a copy of every checked in version instead of saving only the differences like it does for text files.
Thus the required space can grow rapidly as it is proportional to number of commits instead of amount of changes. A 1 MB file committed 10x with one byte changed each time will consume 10 MB on the server. This is something subversion does better.

For more details, see http://subversion.tigris.org/ and http://www.cvshome.org and this for info about CVS and binary data.

Jan Rehders aka sheijk. Velox3D programmer at 6S
Subversion docs also indicate that it only transmits what has changed, which an be a substantial timesavings in some cases.

I am a happy Subversion user now who uses it locally.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
I think bitkeeper may deal well with binaries, but there are strict licensing rules that dictate whether you pay for a license or are eligible for the free license.

www.bitmover.com

RandomTask

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement