color depth for transparency?

Started by
3 comments, last by Odoacer 20 years, 2 months ago
I can''t seem to save a bitmap in 16 bits and make it transparent - I have to use a 24-bit depth. Problem is, I''m running my window in 16-bit mode. Now, this works fine on my machine, but I''m trying to keep quirks/hacks/etc out of the way. I suspect this might be the reason some of my friends can''t seem to run my programs. What''s the reason for my saving in 16bits not working?
Advertisement
DO you mean you have a transparency colour, or you''re trying to draw the whole image with an aloha blending?

Why do Suicide Bombers think they''re going to a better place?
Don''t they know their going all over the place?
the future is just like the past, just later. - TANSTAAFL
No, I have a transparency color (78, 255, 0) but it doesn''t work unless I save the image as a 24-bit bitmap. That''s my main problem - I can''t save it as a 16-bit bitmap and still have transparency work.

Since my program is running in 16-bits, I imagine this may also cause some incompatibilities among some systems. (It works fine on mine, but crashes on some friends''.)
Did you look at the actual RGB-value of the key color in your 16BPP image (it may be different from the one in the 24BPP version).
Yes, about a hundred times. It''s the same picture, just saved in a different color depth. I''ve also tried saving it in different 16-bit formats: X1R5G5B5, (x for alpha I think), R5G6B5, and so on. Doing it as R5G6B5 causes the program to crash, with the 1-bit alpha channel it runs fine but transparency is broken, with 24-bits, all is good but potentially incompatible.

Any ideas?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement