A problem on integration

Started by
10 comments, last by Nervo 20 years, 3 months ago
A way to solve but surely not the best,
1. let x=1/t then ¡Ò(t^3/(t^6+1))dt=-¡Ò(xdx/(x^6+1))
2. let u=x^2 then the integral changes to -0.5*¡Òdu/(u^3+1)
knowing that u^3+1=(u+1)(u^2-u+1) u can solve the integral.

But the process is kinda long and the result looks weird

[edited by - remi on January 24, 2004 7:38:53 AM]
"...and we all know what "undefined" means: it means it works during development, it works during testing, and it blows up in your most important customers' faces."----------Scott Meyers, "Effective C++"
Advertisement
quote:Original post by sadwanmage
Ok, I think I was able to it. It ain''t pretty. My answer differs significantly from the Integrators, but I think either I have made simple mistake, or I am missing some clever re-arrangement that makes them the same. So I am fairly sure the following method is along the right lines:

I used the substitution x=t^2. From there its partial fractions, and then a reach to the formula booklet for the last part. A nice integral, it covers practically everything I have learnt on integration. It does involve lns and arctans.

I''m going to give your method a whirl. If I substitute x = t^2 I should get a sum of perfect cubes on the bottom to work with and then split that apart with partial fractions..sounds like a plan. I really hope the teacher has no intention of putting a question like that on the test. In fact, I have covered partial fractions in precalculus a while back, but I think there is a special section devoted to using partial fractions later on in this calculus II book, so I''d like to think she''s not dumping something on us that should be covered in a later section. Nervertheless, I''m going to attempt to integrate according to your method sadwanmage or remi. Thank you all very much for taking the time to help me.
Well, R2D22U2..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement