C++ Books

Started by
15 comments, last by krakrazor 20 years, 2 months ago
What are some good books on C++? I''m not a begineer and i was looking for more of an intermediate/expert level. I would like to learn about efficient programing structure. Also what is a good begineer book(not totally begineer, something more between begineer intermediate)? i''m creating a library of programming books.
Advertisement
The C++ Programming Language is a good reference, I only read bits and pieces of it, but it explains a LOT of features of C++, it''s good intermediate level book. Exceptional C++, I heard is good, there is a website explainig tips from the book, I only read some, but the book is supposed to go more in depth, but it''s good anyways.
C++ Primer is a good book for learning C++. The author is Stanley B. Lippman.

An excellent book for learning the C++ Standard library is
The C++ Standard Library : A Tutorial and Reference by
Nicolai M. Josuttis.

Also, anything by Scott Meyers is good.

Good luck. :-)
nybble@gmx.net
The two books I reference most frequently:
The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup
C++: How to Program by Deitel & Deitel

Other good books for programming structure & design:
Code Complete by McConnell
Efficient C++: Performance Programming Techniques by Bulka & Mayhew
Effective C++ & More Effective C++ by Meyers

(silencer)
I second the C++ Primer by Lippman/Lajoie.

I second Effective C++, More Effective C++, and I''ll add Effective STL to the mix.

I never did understand how people could take those Deitel and Deitel books seriously.
AP:
I know what ya mean - I started using C++ How to Program when it was required for class, and I couldn''t get over the stupid bugs on the cover. However, those books are great beginner/intermediate textbooks that teach the information and are packed (1000+ pages) full of info, and I haven''t read any other book that would be better to begin learning a language on your own than those.

(silencer)
C++ Templates - Vandevoorde - Josuttis
The C++ Standard Library - Josuttis
Modern C++ Design - Alexandrescu
also... do you guys have these books?
right now i''m looking at the "The C++ Programming Language" book, is it up to date? and anyone know anywhere i can get a deal on it?
quote:Original post by krakrazor
right now i''m looking at the "The C++ Programming Language" book, is it up to date? and anyone know anywhere i can get a deal on it?

The C++ Programming Language Special Edition is up to date(2001 I think). I got it cheap at Amazon. There''s a $35 new one right now at www.amazon.com.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement