Best free java IDE?

Started by
17 comments, last by Emonious 20 years, 1 month ago
Curious... I''m starting an intro to OOP course which uses Java (not C++ damn it > ) and while I do have a free version of VS.net from my college, I cannot use it on my older laptop due to it''s age. I usually use Dev c++ for when programming in C++, but I was hoping there was something similar for Java? Preferably something that would transfer between IDE''s with ease, if that is possible. Also, just for the heck of it. Are there at basic "switch over" guides for those going from C++ to Java? Something that would show the basic differences and key points to pay attention to? Nothing advanced, as I am still only a novice.
-----------------------------Naze ga muzukashi desu ka...
Advertisement

Eclipse IDE:
http://www.eclipse.org/

as for "switching over":
it''s rather painless if you''re used to C++ techniques like interfaces, methods, abstract classes, exception handling, and don''t do any crazy pointer arithmetic. i suggest reading a little introduction text on Java, should be enough to start.

Thanks
Doh, little confused on what I should actually be downloading here...
I use JCreator LE myself.

Also, RealJ

[edited by - henrym on January 24, 2004 3:36:22 AM]
For Java I use Sun''s Java2 SDK (www.java.com), and I use TextPad for the IDE (www.textpad.com). I used to use JGrasp (www.jgrasp.org) and have a few friends that still use it so you may want to try that too.

(silencer)
Eclipse:

2.1.3 Stream Maintenance Build: Current release

3.0 Stream Stable Build: Current experimental release. Should be stable too but the current Milestone 6 contained one or two features that annoyed me a bit and felt unable to turn of in the preferences. I''d rather give Milestone 5 a go.
Eclipse is fucking gorgeous.

Its editor lacks one feature that''s very important to me though - "virtual space" or cursor-past-end-of-line. I hope this is fixed soon.
i recommend you urgent, NOT TO USE one of those opensource packs;
use JBuilder personal edition, free on linux - it really rocks and bashes the other in this thread named products by mile-lengths !
(i have worked over a year with JBuilder at a preceeding employer)

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
JEdit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement