Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MountainLion2

MD2 Using OpenGL Model OK Skin SNAFU

MountainLion2    122
I need some help...I have a 3D terrain model of Mars...greyscale heightmap with a texture overlay...Now I want to put models of the landers in. When I used the MD2 models that come with OpenGL Game Programming, they looked good, moved right and skin was right. When I put in my own model in, the model looks good, but the skin isn''t right. The skin on the model has these weird black strips that run through it. This same texture covers the entire model, which it shouldn''t, the only texture that does look right is the top, but it shows signs of z-fighting. I''ve checked the model with a MD2 viewer and it looked fine. Any one have any idea''s?

MountainLion2    122
The Z-buffer is set 24, and the z near and z far are set to the default value..0 I think, I don''t remember setting them.

here''s the screenshot:

img src=PIC HERE>http://home.mchsi.com/~l-neilson/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-587817.html

MountainLion2    122
The Z-buffer is set 24, and the z near and z far are set to the default value..0 I think, I don''t remember setting them.

here''s the screenshot:

img src=http://home.mchsi.com/~l-neilson/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-587817.html

Deranged    668
what is your gluPerspective set to

gluPerspective (GLdouble fovy, GLdouble aspect, GLdouble zNear, GLdouble zFar);

[edited by - DerAngeD on January 25, 2004 10:01:16 AM]

MountainLion2    122
Here''s some background of the process I''ve been using...I''ve been doing the models in Wings3D porting them over to Milkshape to assign the UV coordinates, add joints, etc., and then exporting them from there. My program is using the MD2 import code from the book OpenGL Game Programming...all the models look fine until they enter my program.

MountainLion2    122
No, I played around with zNear and zFar but the models still look the same...I''ve added another and it''s a pretty blue and white strip. I''m beginning to think it might have something to do with the uv coordinates.

Lunatic Raven    122
That problem has nothing to do with the depth buffer.. Your textures cooridinates are messed up.

Does the model display correctly in the modeller?
Did you try flipping or rotating the texture in a paint program, (You may accidently be loading the image upside down or mirrored, or both)

There is either something wrong with the texture or texture coordinates.

MountainLion2    122
I played with the texture maps..but no success, just moved the colors around. I tried doing a simple box from a tutorial from milkshape, but it didn''t work either. The screenshot for it is here:
http://home.mchsi.com/~l-neilson/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-588438.html
What am I doing wrong?