Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joon

DD7 questions. Low framerate problem

joon    122
Hi, I''m currently working on the mapeditor for a mediocorely sized crpg and I encountered some problems. It''s made in Direct Draw 7 and VB 6.0. It''s going to be a windowed application. I have f.e. an isometric grid/two dimensional array with f.e. 200 tiles (10x20). The framerate/FPS with this is about 17 or so. If I lower it the FPS rises incredibly (up to 170 or 200, it even clogs up all the rest) and if I rise the amount the FPS drops to four or five. Please give it a glance, or point me into the direction of some good examples of isometric tile engines in directdraw 7 with acceptable framerates. I have already experimented with some other flag settings and other BLT commands but the results are all the same: very bad. Thank you in advance... VB code: http://www.visualbasicforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12491 Original post here: http://www.visualbasicforum.com/t138384.html

Well.. I don't really use visual basic.

But based on your code I have a good question are you rendering each individual tile the primary/backbuffer surface?

The reason I ask is because I found out while writing a small game in C++ it was best to render the tiles to a seperate surface offscreen; basically it allowed it to have the tiles already rendered and ready on another surface; while not rendering directly.

Then I just would render the surface that already had all the tiles rendered to it onto the backbuffer and in return it would be rendered to the primary surface.

It made things alot faster, because it doesnt have to render every individual tile to the primary/backbuffer surface it just renders the other offscreen surface with the tiles already rendered, thus increasing performance and made less work for the applicaton to do, because it only had to render one single, surface to the screen; instead of each little tile

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on January 24, 2004 5:01:14 PM]