Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mille

Sound in game

Mille    166
Hey all, I was wondering if the sound task runs in its own thread in games like Quake, halflife etc. Does anyone know ?? Any recommendations regarding the use of OpenAL or fmod.dll ?? thanks ..

Spudder    385
Ive tried OpenAL and personally thought it was the biggest POS ive ever used, i would recommend FMOD due to it being very powerful, easy to use and cross platform.

_the_phantom_    11250
quote:
Original post by Spudder
Ive tried OpenAL and personally thought it was the biggest POS ive ever used

why?

and FMOD is all very well and good as long as you only ever plan to give away your stuff free, as soon as you intend to make money from a product using it ya have to pay for it

prh99    520
quote:
Original post by Mille

Well, since I made the last post I now have a mp3 song playing in my game .. in other words, fmod is easy

I wouldn''t plan to distribute that game if I were you. Though fmod is free if you give your stuff away or $100 for shareware and hobbiest who sell at low prices, the Mp3 portion is covered by a differant license. If you plan to use MP3 you''ll have get a license from Thompson Multimedia. If I were you I''d switch to Ogg.

Spudder    385
quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
quote:
Original post by Spudder
Ive tried OpenAL and personally thought it was the biggest POS ive ever used

why?

I found the whole design horrible and it was difficult to use as well as the fact that only WAV loading is provided by default, i don''t know if there are external libs for loading extra formats but this just adds extra overhead if you plan on distribution your game.

_the_phantom_    11250
well, if you are used to the OpenGL way of doing things the layout is pretty simular, and a bit of extra work plugin in the Ogg stuff vs paying money to distribute your game, i''ll take the bit of extra work everytime thanks

btw, hey, its your choice at the end of the day

Jolle    178
from fmod.org:
quote:

Shareware, hobbyist agreement

Because some developers are single hobbyist programmers, or sell at an extreme low price-points with no distribution except through a website, and no expectations of high sales that could warrant or recoup the price of a normal product/site license, the ''shareware/budget'' license option has been created.
1 product, PC* only. $100

* PC is classified as WinCE, Win32, Linux or Macintosh

As in the full commercial license pricing information above, the multi-platform discount applies, but all platforms are based on the $100 price point across the board. For a site license (unlimited shareware/budget products), the 2.5 multiplier still applies.

That''s not very much if you are actually to sell the product.

_the_phantom_    11250
As i said, end of the day i''d rather do a little extra work and not have to pay out anything.
If you want to pay them some money and hope you make enuff back to cover it then fair enuff.

(I''ve just taken a quick shifty at the T&C for getting a shareware license and a couple of things spring out at me, firstly you aint gonna be selling it for much as they have to approve the price and secondly it ''appears'' that if you are working in a team of more than 1 person you arent likely to get it approved either)

As a side note, i have tried FMod and like Spudder with OpenAL i found the design of the API horrible to work with.