Where is the AI that can pass the Turing Test?

Started by
31 comments, last by Extrarius 20 years, 2 months ago
quote:Original post by Timkin
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I admit none of us know everything about how human brains work,

Please don''t tell me what I do and don''t know, or what science does and doesn''t know.[...]The biggest issue in neuroscience though is not how the brain works, but rather why it sometimes doesn''t work (i.e., neural dysfunction).
If it can''t even fully explain that, how can you claim we know everything about how human brain works? Maybe you have a misunderstaing of terms. When I say "how brain works" it also includes how it doesn''t work, because that''s part of it''s functionality. Plus, since it has yet to be explained how consciousness can arise from what we know already, how can you make so sure assertions that we already know everything? I believe enough is known when consciousness and intelligence can be either explained or simulated. Making big claims before that sounds naive to me, to be honest.
Advertisement
Anyone wanna try this chat bot? It''s pretty fun.

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!
quote:Original post by Timkin
>>I admit none of us know everything about how human brains work,
Please don't tell me what I do and don't know, or what science does and doesn't know. Neuroscience does know very well how the brain works. What neuroscience struggles with is explaining how consciousness and intelligence arise out of the complex, coupled interactions of electrical oscillators (neuronal loops). The biggest issue in neuroscience though is not how the brain works, but rather why it sometimes doesn't work (i.e., neural dysfunction).

Timkin

This is a little OT, but.....

The AP's statement was legitimate, Timkin. You can't possibly expect anyone to believe that EVERYTHING is known about the brain, or any part of the body for that matter.

I've watchd three very close relatives suffer the effects of strokes, over a 10 year period, and in no case has a doctor approached my family to tell us that they could a) Repair the damage, b) accelerate repair of the damage, or c) tell us how much of a recovery we could expect at all. If you are right that medicine knows everything about the brain, then I will be forever in your debt if you could tell me how to do a or b..

I don't want to sound like one of those people who say "Nobody know's anything", because It's just not true. Planes fly, people survive brain surgery, and there are two robots on Mars as we speak. But if you go around claiming that all is known, expect some questions.

Will

Thank you,
Will

[edited by - RPGeezus on February 4, 2004 9:44:14 PM]
------------------http://www.nentari.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement