• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

points on unit circle

This topic is 5144 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I need to find some points (coordinates) on the unit circle. I need this to determine the direction of a shape (circle for the moment) and yes I really have to do it this way. I have an angle to play with so it shouldn’t be a problem, but it''s. I can''t make it work in the fourth quadrant. If I try to calculate a point at 315 degrees I get a point at (-0,7;0,7) that’s the second quadrant. The strange thing (at least I find it strange) is that I don’t have any problems with points in the third quadrant . Maybe I''m just doing it wrong (or maybe it''s Java playing with me, stupid Java I want my C++) it''s been some years since I''ve done anything like this, and right now I don’t have access to my books or notes. Have I missed something or what? HELP!!!

Advertisement
The x-coordinate should be r*cos(theta) and the y-coordinate should be r*sin(theta) where r is the radius and theta is the angle.

On a unit circle the radius is obviously 1 so a point is simply:

(cos(theta), sin(theta))

Don''t know if this help''s cuz its in C++. I''ve been working on an asteroids clone, so here''s the code to rotate the ship''s facing vector:

void Ship::turn(int direction, float amount)
{
float rotation_radians = 0;
switch(direction)
{
case LEFT:
rotation -= amount;
break;
case RIGHT:
rotation += amount;
break;
}
//convert the degrees to radians
rotation_radians = (float) rotation * pi/180;

if(rotation > 360) //reset if reached too far.
rotation = rotation - 360;
else if(rotation < 0)
rotation = 360 + rotation;

//think of a unit circle (radius 1)
//The unit vector is the length of the radius
facing.y = (float) cos(rotation_radians);
facing.x = (float) sin(rotation_radians);
}

Here''s the reason why I was doing that: So I could move the ship forward, in the direction it is facing.

void Ship::move_forward()
{
x += facing.x;
y += facing.y;
}

• Advertisement