Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odoacer

backbuffers - windowed ddraw

Odoacer    140
I can''t figure out how to blit to a back buffer using DirectDraw in windowed mode. The literature I''ve found on the subject is all either obsolete, too confusing (some make liberal use of HDCs, others rects, and so on without actually explaining what they do) or not thorough enough. Any help would be appreciated. A side question - anyone else think more work than it ought to be to get a simple windowed DX app running?

fallenang3l    144
You can''t have a true back buffer in windowed mode. What you can do is create a plain offscreen surface that''s the size of you window''s client area. Then you draw to the "back" buffer, and blit to your primary surface. There''s an in depth artice somewhere on gamedev about.

Odoacer    140
Yeah, I'm creating my backbuffer as a regular surface, blitting my images onto it, then blitting the backbuffer onto the primary surface.

I did a search on gamedev and came up with this - I tried implementing what he had with points and rects but it didnt work. Here's my original code:

void directDraw::blit(LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 image[], const int &numObjects){	
RECT rect;
GetWindowRect(ddhWnd, &rect); //fills the rectangle with the window dimensions

DDBLTFX ddbltfx;
ddbltfx.dwSize = sizeof(DDBLTFX);
ddbltfx.dwDDFX = DDBLTFX_NOTEARING;

HDC surfaceDC = NULL;
ddBackBuffer->GetDC(&surfaceDC);

for(int i = 0; i < numObjects; i++){
image[i]->Lock(NULL, &ddsd, DDLOCK_WAIT, NULL);
SelectObject(ddHDC, ddsd.lpSurface);
if(FAILED(BitBlt(surfaceDC, 0, 0, 800, 600, ddHDC, 0, 0, SRCCOPY)))
MessageBox(NULL, "Back buffer blit failed.", "Error", MB_OK);
image[i]->Unlock(NULL);
}
ddBackBuffer->ReleaseDC(surfaceDC);

if(FAILED(ddSurface->Blt(&rect, ddBackBuffer , NULL, DDBLT_KEYSRC | DDBLT_WAIT, &ddbltfx)))
MessageBox(NULL, "Primary surface blit failed.", "Error", MB_OK);

}

Here's my drawing function. I'm not even sure if I'm using the DCs and SelectObject function correctly for this kind of situation. It fails to draw onto the backbuffer, but doesn't raise an error - it's probably garbage (the "Primary Surface Blit Failed" message gets raised).

Am I doing this all the wrong way?

[edited by - Odoacer on January 24, 2004 5:44:29 PM]