Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asdasd12345

Putting array into functions

asdasd12345    100
I have a function that takes an array of integers, what I want to know is why you have to define an another array of integers before making the function call. for example : int Function(int Num[16]) { } int main() { int arr[]={0,1,0,2,0,3,0,4}; Function(arr); return 0; } why cant I just write, Function({0,1,0,2,0,3,0,4}); I dont know much about this stuff but when I make the in arr[] array arent I using up extra memory than I would be if I just wrote Function({0,1,0,2,0,3,0,4}). It seems a bit inefficient. I have read something about operator overloading, but Im sketchy on it, so could you overload operators to make it so you can write Function({0,1,0,2,0,3,0,4}) and have it compile, because Ive tried that and it doesnt work.

Nervo    344
this is what I did with your code:

void Function(int* Num)
{
*Num = 99;
}

int main()
{
int arr[]={0,1,0,2,0,3,0,4};
Function(arr);
cout << *arr;
getchar();
return 0;
}

when ''arr'' is passed into the function, the address is passed for the first element. So when you work with it you''re not making a second array..you are referencing the original one through a pointer. In the example above I pass the array with a pointer and make a change to the first element then exit off the function. In main I output ''arr'' and as expected its 99, which is proof that only one array is used, so no excessive memory overhead.

asdasd12345    100
Thanks, i see what your saying, I guess what annoys me is that you cant just say Function({0,1,0,2,0,3,0,4}); - just seems a bit weird to me, maybe theres a good reason for it and i just dont know what it is.

SiCrane    11839
The problem with using an aggregate initializer list like that is that the aggregate is untyped. You need at least some sort of type specifier in order to disambiguate the expression. In C++ there''s no way to declare the type of the aggregate without binding it to a variable.
However, with the 1999 revision of the C standard you can do something like:

void Function(int * p) {}

int main() {
Function((int [8]){0, 1, 0, 2, 0, 3, 0, 4});
return 0;
}

and have things compile.