Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SelethD

3d model problem

Ok, here is my problem. Im trying to make my son a little fps type game. I have some 3d models that I made a few years ago in Milkshape3d, I had exported them into the Half-Life format back then, so I have them in both formats. Now how can someone convert these into the .x format? As far as I can tell I cant get Milkshape3d files to export into 3ds. So does anyone know of a way to export Milkshape3d files to .x or .3ds or from the Half-life format .mdl to either .x or .3ds I tried the exporters in Milkshape3d that export to .x, but when the model animates in direct x, the polys move and seperate from each other while animating, instead of stretching and staying together. So anyone know what im doing wrong, or how I can export my modles? Thanks

Well, there is an application called "3DWin4" that you can download. I can''t remember the website now, but you can "google" for it. It can import/export quite a bit of different model formats. So if you have them in .3DS format, you can convert into .X format. It''s a free program. I use it, and it''s pretty cool. =) It''s VERY simple to use.

Glad I could help,
Matt U.

I got it, thats one of the reasons I need a

Milkshape3d to DirectX
or
Milkshape3d to 3DS

Its the problem of getting it out of the stupid Milkshape3d format thats giving me pains.

But yeah, I really like Win3D4 its a good program

Hold on, which version of MilkShape do you have? It should be able to create .x files ready for use your d3d apps. Bear in mind, it''s been like 10 months since I used it last, but that is what I use to create my .x files...

"Dear MacGuyver, here is a paper clip, a rubber band and a straw - please save my dog."

Deep Explore by right hemisphere will convert lots of different formats into .x files and is free for 30 days. Very nice little program actualy.

Does the latest version of MilkShape not have a .x exporter...

Milkshape does, but I get this strange thing, when I export.

It the model has animation (using bones) and I do an export the the plain .x exporter, I cant even get it do display.

If I export it with the JT or TJ .x exporter, I get the model, and it animates, just the polygonst dont stick together.

Like when you have an m&m cany that gets hot, when you squish it, the hard shell, splits apart and doesnt stay together. Thats what my model does, when it should be like a gummy bear, that when you squish it, it moves, but doesnt break apart.

So I thought it might be an error in the exporter, thats why I was looking for a better exporter, or a way to get it into a .3ds format wich seems to be a more stable and reliable format.

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of the .x file specs, I just might make my own exporter. Usually thats the best whay, If the wheel doesnt roll, make your own.