Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yaroslavd

Best .Net Language

yaroslavd    150
I want to make a tile-based 2D RPG, sort of like FF6 in terms of graphics. I decided to make the Level Editor in one of the .Net languages because of the easy GUI building. The actual game is probably gonna be written in Java, unless I really like one of the .Net languages. So which .Net language would you recommend? I''d rather use real Java, so that excludes J++, and I don''t really like C++, so I''m probably gonna use C# or VB unless someone can convince me. Thanks in advance!

wyrd    112
It doesn''t matter. Use the one you feel most comfortable programming in. Since you like Java, that''d probably be C#.

rohde    432
If you like Java, then use C#.

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.

William James (1842 - 1910)

jperalta    356
If you''re going to use a .NET language you should use either C# or VB.NET because C++.NET isn''t quite as normal feeling as the other two, it just feels weird.

Now, as to C# vs. VB:

I''ve never used VB.NET but afaik they should perform about the same and take about the same amount of time to develop the same application in. If you have prior experience with Java you may want to look into C# because they have very similar syntaxes and C# looks nicer than VB.NET, but really it''s up to you.

yaroslavd    150
From what I understand, C# is basically VB with C++ syntax. Is that true? I mean if you look at MSDN, there are C++ articles, and articles for C#/VB. They always pair them together.

Also, can anyone please provide benefits/faults of using VB over C# or vice versa? I kinda started learning VB, and I wanna know if I should really switch to C# (but don''t assume it would be a huge switch - I JUST started learning VB).

Colin Jeanne    1114
quote:
Original post by yaroslavd
From what I understand, C# is basically VB with C++ syntax. Is that true? I mean if you look at MSDN, there are C++ articles, and articles for C#/VB. They always pair them together.

C# is not VB with C++ syntax.

Colin Jeanne | Invader''s Realm

yaroslavd    150
quote:
Original post by Invader X
quote:

C# is not VB with C++ syntax.

Colin Jeanne | Invader''s Realm

So what are the differences between the two?

To Tangents: If I were gonna use Java, I''d use the real one.

TangentZ    450
quote:

Well, J# allows you to use the .NET Framework (just like C#
and VB.NET), with the Java language syntax. That''s all.

The "real" Java has its own JVM and Java Class Library,
completely separate from the .NET Framework.

J# allows you to access both. What''s wrong with that?
(Though, J# is only up to JDK 1.1.4, I think.)

Anyway, if youre programming with the .NET Framework, you
won''t bother with the other library. You''d just use the
.NET classes.

I don''t understand why people have to choose one .NET language
over another, other than language syntax preferences, with
the exception of Managed C++, which is not "pure". They
are all equivalent in that they compile into the same IL to
be JIT-compiled by the CLR.

*shrug*

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!

yaroslavd    150
quote:
Original post by tangentz
quote:

I don''t understand why people have to choose one .NET language
over another, other than language syntax preferences, with
the exception of Managed C++, which is not "pure". They
are all equivalent in that they compile into the same IL to
be JIT-compiled by the CLR.

*shrug*

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!

That''s what I thought, but Invader seems to think otherwise.

wyrd    112
Differences are minor. Probably the biggest one I can think of is that C# allows you to use pointeres if you so wish. However, that''s insanely rare and shouldn''t effect your choice. In the future, things may be different. But for now, it''s a syntax preference.

Either way, Java is more syntatically similar to C# than VB. So as I said before, you should probably go with C#.

yaroslavd    150
I actually don''t mind the VB syntax. I mean at first it seems very awkward, but it''s actually pretty nice now that I''m kinda used to it.

VizOne    598
In general it does not matter what language you use as all .NET language share a common functional base: the CLS (Common Language Specifications). So, as long as you only use features of the CLS every .NET language will do.

However, some languages provide more than the CLS. C# e.g. can handle unsafe blocks, operator overloading, unsigned integers etc. Managed C++ looks weird but is unbeaten for some of its features like: IJW (it just works - use native code from within the .NET assembly as you would do in a native app, i.e. #include and go), explicit boxing and __box pointers (allows you to access and modify the content of boxed structures without unboxing - neccessary if speed is an issue), inline assembler (nice for e.g. CPUID or RDTSC) and so on. Other languages may provide other special features.

The cool thing of course is that you can consume assemblies written in different languages.

I personally write as much as possible in C# as the language is really a bless to work with (clear syntax, superb featureset) and parts where I need to in Managed C++ (for easy interop and speed issues).

Just my 0.02€ :D

Regards,
Andre Loker

[edited by - VizOne on January 26, 2004 5:32:02 PM]

Sieggy    122
C# borrows heavily from Java and C++. It is basically the latest evolution on the C family tree if you will. If you come from this area of programming (C, C++, Java) you will no doubt feel more comfortable with C#. VB.NET inherits the VB format though much has been changed to support the object orientated basis of .NET. C# is a bit stricter on OO, which is something I like. For instance members default to private if you don''t provide an access specifier. I think it is much more concise and readable but much of that opinion, is no doubt, because of my work in C++ and Java.

The last thing I would mention is that .NET was not written in VB.NET but rather C# (and of course native code). From a certain perspective it is the mother language of .NET. While MS will not give official preference to C# over VB.NET unofficially, after talking with some of them, they go with C# without a question. There is also the issue of perception. Like it or not, you''ll be a better paid and more respected developer using C# rather than VB.NET. I''ve heard of team who had to rewrite their UI in C# after the client found out it was developed in VB.NET

Sieggy