Best .Net Language

Started by
14 comments, last by yaroslavd 20 years, 2 months ago
Differences are minor. Probably the biggest one I can think of is that C# allows you to use pointeres if you so wish. However, that''s insanely rare and shouldn''t effect your choice. In the future, things may be different. But for now, it''s a syntax preference.

Either way, Java is more syntatically similar to C# than VB. So as I said before, you should probably go with C#.
Advertisement
I actually don''t mind the VB syntax. I mean at first it seems very awkward, but it''s actually pretty nice now that I''m kinda used to it.
Its all about COBOL.NET.
Dat is off da hizzle fo shizzle dizzle
In general it does not matter what language you use as all .NET language share a common functional base: the CLS (Common Language Specifications). So, as long as you only use features of the CLS every .NET language will do.

However, some languages provide more than the CLS. C# e.g. can handle unsafe blocks, operator overloading, unsigned integers etc. Managed C++ looks weird but is unbeaten for some of its features like: IJW (it just works - use native code from within the .NET assembly as you would do in a native app, i.e. #include and go), explicit boxing and __box pointers (allows you to access and modify the content of boxed structures without unboxing - neccessary if speed is an issue), inline assembler (nice for e.g. CPUID or RDTSC) and so on. Other languages may provide other special features.

The cool thing of course is that you can consume assemblies written in different languages.

I personally write as much as possible in C# as the language is really a bless to work with (clear syntax, superb featureset) and parts where I need to in Managed C++ (for easy interop and speed issues).

Just my 0.02€ :D

Regards,
Andre Loker

[edited by - VizOne on January 26, 2004 5:32:02 PM]
Andre Loker | Personal blog on .NET
C# borrows heavily from Java and C++. It is basically the latest evolution on the C family tree if you will. If you come from this area of programming (C, C++, Java) you will no doubt feel more comfortable with C#. VB.NET inherits the VB format though much has been changed to support the object orientated basis of .NET. C# is a bit stricter on OO, which is something I like. For instance members default to private if you don''t provide an access specifier. I think it is much more concise and readable but much of that opinion, is no doubt, because of my work in C++ and Java.

The last thing I would mention is that .NET was not written in VB.NET but rather C# (and of course native code). From a certain perspective it is the mother language of .NET. While MS will not give official preference to C# over VB.NET unofficially, after talking with some of them, they go with C# without a question. There is also the issue of perception. Like it or not, you''ll be a better paid and more respected developer using C# rather than VB.NET. I''ve heard of team who had to rewrite their UI in C# after the client found out it was developed in VB.NET

Sieggy
C#

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement