Best .Net Language

Started by
14 comments, last by yaroslavd 20 years, 2 months ago
I want to make a tile-based 2D RPG, sort of like FF6 in terms of graphics. I decided to make the Level Editor in one of the .Net languages because of the easy GUI building. The actual game is probably gonna be written in Java, unless I really like one of the .Net languages. So which .Net language would you recommend? I''d rather use real Java, so that excludes J++, and I don''t really like C++, so I''m probably gonna use C# or VB unless someone can convince me. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
It doesn''t matter. Use the one you feel most comfortable programming in. Since you like Java, that''d probably be C#.
No, that would be J#.

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!
If you like Java, then use C#.

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.

William James (1842 - 1910)
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
If you''re going to use a .NET language you should use either C# or VB.NET because C++.NET isn''t quite as normal feeling as the other two, it just feels weird.

Now, as to C# vs. VB:

I''ve never used VB.NET but afaik they should perform about the same and take about the same amount of time to develop the same application in. If you have prior experience with Java you may want to look into C# because they have very similar syntaxes and C# looks nicer than VB.NET, but really it''s up to you.
From what I understand, C# is basically VB with C++ syntax. Is that true? I mean if you look at MSDN, there are C++ articles, and articles for C#/VB. They always pair them together.

Also, can anyone please provide benefits/faults of using VB over C# or vice versa? I kinda started learning VB, and I wanna know if I should really switch to C# (but don''t assume it would be a huge switch - I JUST started learning VB).
quote:Original post by yaroslavd
From what I understand, C# is basically VB with C++ syntax. Is that true? I mean if you look at MSDN, there are C++ articles, and articles for C#/VB. They always pair them together.

C# is not VB with C++ syntax.

Colin Jeanne | Invader''s Realm
quote:Original post by Invader X

C# is not VB with C++ syntax.

Colin Jeanne | Invader''s Realm

So what are the differences between the two?

To Tangents: If I were gonna use Java, I''d use the real one.

Well, J# allows you to use the .NET Framework (just like C#
and VB.NET), with the Java language syntax. That''s all.

The "real" Java has its own JVM and Java Class Library,
completely separate from the .NET Framework.

J# allows you to access both. What''s wrong with that?
(Though, J# is only up to JDK 1.1.4, I think.)

Anyway, if youre programming with the .NET Framework, you
won''t bother with the other library. You''d just use the
.NET classes.

I don''t understand why people have to choose one .NET language
over another, other than language syntax preferences, with
the exception of Managed C++, which is not "pure". They
are all equivalent in that they compile into the same IL to
be JIT-compiled by the CLR.

*shrug*

神はサイコロを振らない!
quote:Original post by tangentz

I don''t understand why people have to choose one .NET language
over another, other than language syntax preferences, with
the exception of Managed C++, which is not "pure". They
are all equivalent in that they compile into the same IL to
be JIT-compiled by the CLR.

*shrug*

That''s what I thought, but Invader seems to think otherwise.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement