generating triangles strip

Started by
5 comments, last by felix-the-maw 20 years, 2 months ago
hi, do someone know how to generate a triangle strip from "not striped" triangle list (a big mesh in fact) ?
_Maw-ware_, en francais dans le code.
Advertisement
Google for "stripification". You''ll probably find something useful.

Michael K.,
Co-designer and Graphics Programmer of "The Keepers"

We come in peace... surrender or die!
Michael K.
Theres a good article on generating triangle strips at Delphi3D, or look at STRIPE, for something more heavyweight.

HTH

RandomError
Quote: Giving people a little more than they expect is a good way to get back more than you'd expect. Author: Robert Half
generating triangle strips... couldnt that be considered a variant of the travelling sallesman problem?

and there are quite a few solving algorithms for the travelling sallesman, right? unfortunately there are so many vertices on a 3d model standing for cities, that the algorithm would probably take forever...

thanks for the STRIPE link, quite useful...

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][Yann L.][Enginuity]
The most irrefutable evidence that there is intelligent life in the Universe is that they haven''t contacted us!

If you just need a render speed-boost you might want first try just to make triangle list post-T&L cache friendly. In my experience difference in speed of cache-friendly list and strip is only about 5-10%.

pentium3id : travelling sallesman is NP problem so you can just forget about using exact solution. Aproximations are good enough.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
i use vertex_buffers_ARB for all my verts / normals / texcoord
is that post T&L friendly or what is it ???

nvidia has some source code:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvtristrip_library.html

not sure how old/good it is tho. i was using it in my engine, but then switched to lists.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement